RE: [SCA-Archery] Into the fray

  • Luigi Kapaj
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 5, 2006
      Hmmm... Must make a few comments based of recent research.

      > Marcus offered,
      > "Although there is room for arguement, I have the perspective
      > that Archors are for Artillery (i.e. Raining Death) and
      > Crossbowmen are more for direct fire (i.e. Sniping).
      > Crossbow bolts tend to shoot straighter and penetrate
      > better than arrows. So coming up with a motto that implies
      > these Crossbow traits would be better suited in my mind."

      In Medieval Chinese armies, it was the exact opposite of this situation.
      Archers were highly skilled and in training year round. Crossbows were used
      for feudal levies with little training as it took less time to get them to
      combat effectiveness. Rows of crossbowmen were used to attrition enemy lines
      while the more skilled archers used their bows to snipe any troops that were
      getting through the hail of bolts.

      > ...They did
      > not use siege tactics until learned from Europeans, and then
      > proved effective in using gleaned arrows of any length and strength.

      True, the Mongols did use arrow fire in both direct sniping and in an
      artillery like manner. Mongol troops were mobile and often used both these
      and other styles of archery fire in a single battle.

      But make no mistake about the effectiveness of siege weapons in the Mongol
      war machine. Mongols were laying siege to Chinese and Middle Eastern cities
      long before they even heard of Europe. They developed their own tactics and
      incorporated knowledge and technology whenever they could, even what little
      Europe had to offer. Mongols took the siege equipment and weapons they found
      along the way, enhanced them, and developed new tactical uses. Mongols
      invented the cannon. Mongols invented many open field uses of siege weapons
      that are still in use today including rolling barrages.

      Many tactics used in SCA battles are modern, not Medieval, except that some
      of them are derived from tacticians who studied Mongol warfare and gave them
      their own names: 3 prong attack, blitzkrieg...