RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: Into the fray

  • Laebeth Cúriel
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2006
      Actually, “south” Welsh has been experiencing a renaissance over the past
      few decades. North Welsh is still the first language learned by many in
      the, well, north, of course. English is taught in the schools, but the
      language remains well alive in the rural communities.

      Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwlad dan ei droed,
      Mae hen iaith y Cymry mor fyw ag erioed,
      Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad,
      Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.

      Gwlad, Gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad,
      Tra môr yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,
      O bydded i'r heniaith barhau.

      [rough English translation

      Though the enemy has trampled my country underfoot,
      The old language of the Welsh knows no retreat,
      The treacherous hand has not hindered the spirit Nor has it silenced the
      sweet harp of my land.

      Land! Land! I am true to my land!
      As long as the see serves as a wall for this pure, dear land
      May the language endure for ever.

      Y Ddraig Goch ddyrry cychwyn!

      Laebeth

      P.S. The popularity of JRR Tolkien’s Sindarin language, resulting from the
      success of the LotR movies, also gave Welsh a boost, as JRRT used Welsh as
      the structural basis for that common language of the Elves.

      ~dabcdabdcabcdabc~

      One Arrow

      Arrows@...

      www.1Arrow.net <http://www.1arrow.net/>

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5, 2006
        Hmmm... Must make a few comments based of recent research.

        > Marcus offered,
        > "Although there is room for arguement, I have the perspective
        > that Archors are for Artillery (i.e. Raining Death) and
        > Crossbowmen are more for direct fire (i.e. Sniping).
        > Crossbow bolts tend to shoot straighter and penetrate
        > better than arrows. So coming up with a motto that implies
        > these Crossbow traits would be better suited in my mind."

        In Medieval Chinese armies, it was the exact opposite of this situation.
        Archers were highly skilled and in training year round. Crossbows were used
        for feudal levies with little training as it took less time to get them to
        combat effectiveness. Rows of crossbowmen were used to attrition enemy lines
        while the more skilled archers used their bows to snipe any troops that were
        getting through the hail of bolts.

        > ...They did
        > not use siege tactics until learned from Europeans, and then
        > proved effective in using gleaned arrows of any length and strength.

        True, the Mongols did use arrow fire in both direct sniping and in an
        artillery like manner. Mongol troops were mobile and often used both these
        and other styles of archery fire in a single battle.

        But make no mistake about the effectiveness of siege weapons in the Mongol
        war machine. Mongols were laying siege to Chinese and Middle Eastern cities
        long before they even heard of Europe. They developed their own tactics and
        incorporated knowledge and technology whenever they could, even what little
        Europe had to offer. Mongols took the siege equipment and weapons they found
        along the way, enhanced them, and developed new tactical uses. Mongols
        invented the cannon. Mongols invented many open field uses of siege weapons
        that are still in use today including rolling barrages.

        Many tactics used in SCA battles are modern, not Medieval, except that some
        of them are derived from tacticians who studied Mongol warfare and gave them
        their own names: 3 prong attack, blitzkrieg...