Re: [SCA-Archery] Longbows

  • Jeffrey Webb
    Message 1 of 36 , Aug 21, 2006
      Greetings,
      I am also the proud owner of a Don Adams longbow, though mine is 81# @ 28" and it is a 6'4" single stave with horn nocks (and a handle). He uses the finest select yew , properly seasoned and his workmanship is unsurpassed. It is a beautiful work of art besides being a precision shooting instrument.
      I own and have owned many longbows.
      I had an old Glenn St.Charles, and a Jay St. Charles, a Steve Ralphs, a Michael Llwadell, a Pip Bickerstaff, a Jack Strunk (all very fine bowyers), as well as a few that I have made. I've also owned a Don Adams in the past, bu sold it because the draw weight was all wrong for me. He is regarded by the British bowyers as the apex of the bowyer's art and was asked by the Mary Rose Trust to provide the yew staves that they used to fashion the replica bows. The yew available from the Pacific Northwest is considered the best in the world right now. In Medieval times it seems to have been Spanish yew that was favored.
      When I first began shopping for a bowyer many years ago, people in the know would always reccommend a bowyer and say that they were almost as good as Don Adams, but of course much less expensive. I decided that I didn't want someone almost as good as Don Adams, and yes, his bows are very expensive, but you get what you pay for.
      Enjoy your bow. You'll get none better.
      -Geoffrei

      Message 36 of 36 , Aug 22, 2006
        In a message dated 8/22/06 11:28:32 AM, andros.korkyrates@... writes:

        > Illegal to export from where, exactly? English yew is quite widespread in
        > some parts of Europe, and has been rapidly gaining favor of landscapers over
        > last two decades or so - and it is not a complete stranger to New World's
        > shores, either. I doubt it's considered an 'endangered species', really...

        I had heard that "English Yew" was illegal to export...from England.

        William the Archer