Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: More horsebow questions

  • Allison Roth
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 19, 2006
      jameswolfden wrote:
      > Where in Canada are you? There are a number of SCA merchants who sell horsebows as
      > well. One of them is probably at Pennsic. I live in B.C. and would likely get one from
      > Andras Truemark out of Washington State. Your local archery shop may also carry the
      > Samick SKB Korean bow which looks a little more modern.

      I'm in Calgary. I've only been to a couple of events, but I have yet to
      see anything like this. I've gone through the inventory of any local
      places that sell bows and not seen any of the Korean ones...:-(

      Just browsing Truemark Archery - seems to be the same horsebow line as
      the Seven Meadows site. But you've had a good experience with them
      personally?

      > Most of the horsebows being sold are modern fiberglass recreations and are set up for
      > drawlengths of 28". You can use a three finger grip no problem or try the mongolian
      > release. Your drawlength will still be dependent on where you anchor.

      Right, but the poundage is the trick, right? If I have a certain
      poundage at one release point, won't it be different at the other?

      > Are crossbows not allowed on your local range? We have a similiar problem but I am still
      > able to get out and practise at events and on private land.
      Nope - no crossbows at the local range. And given that all practices
      and local events are held there, I think I'd have a hard time getting
      proficient. :-)

      Thanks!

      -Lianor
    • Jason C. Russo
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 19, 2006
        I can't stress enough to deal with www.horsebows.com. Great customer
        service, great guy, fast shipment, knowledgeable--will answer all of your
        questions and my bow came with a guarantee that if I didn't like it or want
        to upgrade he will buy it back from me....what more can you ask for.

        As far as *eastern* shooting, not necessarily Mongolian--I am assuming you
        are discussing the use of a thumb ring. For $13.00 at horsebows.com you can
        purchase a book and for $18 you can buy a heavy weight brass thumb ring. I
        love it! Once I got used to it I like it a great deal better than western
        shooting. You will need a thumb glove though. When you use a thumb ring,
        you shoot off the thumb-shelf of your other hand.

        I'm short too, 5' 6", with a 25" draw and use a 38# Scythian--it works just
        fine. The mechanics of using a thumb ring is easy. Make a fist with your
        draw hand, now...place your thumb under your index finger--that's the hold
        in a nut-shell. The bow-string will catch the thumb-lip on the thumb-ring,
        then anchor that fist grip, draw to your cheek and then flick your thumb out
        like a reverse snapping of your fingers. That's it. The release needs to be
        a quick flip pushing of your thumb out or the string will roll off the
        thumb-ring and affect accuracy. I don't know how much better to explain
        it...anything more and you have to see it performed.

        Chayyim

        On 8/18/06, Allison Roth <teleute@...> wrote:

        > Like a previous poster, I am also looking at getting a horsebow. I have
        > a few questions:
        >
        > 1) Location. I know the previous poster got a recommendation of
        > www.horsebows.com. I've also found
        > http://www.sevenmeadowsarchery.com/merchant.ihtml. Does anyone have any
        > experience with them, or any others? Just want to make sure I know all
        > my options. (I'd love to find a place in Canada, but so far that hasn't
        > happened...)
        >
        > 2) Style of shooting. I'd like to try the Mongolian Draw. However,
        > never having done that before, I'm not sure if I'll want to continue
        > using it after I've tried it. This makes ordering a bow very tricky,
        > since it's my understanding that Mongolian has a different anchor point
        > (which would change the poundage, etc...). Any suggestions? (Note, I'm
        > short w/ short arms, and a very beginning archer.)
        >
        > 3) History. My persona is 1200 Spanish. It's my understanding that a
        > crossbow would be by far the most appropriate and documentable, but I
        > don't want to do a crossbow since I'd never be able to practice. I've
        > had a couple suggestions of documentation for Moors using horsebows,
        > which is why I'm thinking about going this way (and I just think they're
        > neat). Again, if anyone has any suggestions/opinions on the matter,
        > they'd be appreciated.
        >
        > 4) Accessories. Again, any thoughts anyone has on accessories are
        > welcome. Material for the ring? Gloves? I'm thinking I'd like a pair
        > of just regular full gloves, since I can't find documentation for the
        > three-fingered kind, and then I'd have a glove for each hand (right for
        > if I do Mediterranean, and left due to the lack of arrow rest). Quiver
        > - it looks like hip is more accurate, but I'm told it might be
        > detrimental to speed draw rounds. Armguard I think is relatively
        > straightforward. Anything else? (Well, of course, the arrows
        > themselves...)
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > -Lianor de Najera

      • Frederick Fenters
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 20, 2006
          I posted this once before, but will do so again. If you have a range that
          is not allowing crossbows, approach the range owner and ask why. If you
          explain what you are doing, ie a re-creation organization, and also explain
          that your crossbows are not the tricked out massive modern "superweapons"
          you may get a sympathetic response. If not, nothing lost except a few
          minutes of time and you have gained the opportunity to have tried recruiting
          a new person for SCA.

          Padraig MacRaighne

        • Allison Roth
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 20, 2006
            As far as I'm aware, the group here (which is quite large) has asked the
            range, and unequivocally told no. I heard (although I'm not 100% sure
            on this) that there is actually a city law that disallows the firing of
            crossbows within city-limits. The range is very familiar w/ the SCA
            (they give us discounts, the group's been meeting there once a week for
            quite a while), so I think they'd help if they could.

            -Lianor

            Frederick Fenters wrote:
            > I posted this once before, but will do so again. If you have a range that
            > is not allowing crossbows, approach the range owner and ask why. If you
            > explain what you are doing, ie a re-creation organization, and also explain
            > that your crossbows are not the tricked out massive modern "superweapons"
            > you may get a sympathetic response. If not, nothing lost except a few
            > minutes of time and you have gained the opportunity to have tried recruiting
            > a new person for SCA.
            >

            > Padraig MacRaighne

          • Tom
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 20, 2006
              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Allison Roth <teleute@...> wrote:
              Allison

              I can personally recommend SevenMeadows - I have a 45# Scythian and
              my son has a 60# Mongolian from them -- we both love our bows.
              Kimberly and Toth are genuine people my son met them while stationed
              at FT. Lewis in Washington. Kimberly is also a member at the site
              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HorseArchery as am I

              Tom from G.R. MI

              > As far as I'm aware, the group here (which is quite large) has
              asked the
              > range, and unequivocally told no. I heard (although I'm not 100%
              sure
              > on this) that there is actually a city law that disallows the
              firing of
              > crossbows within city-limits. The range is very familiar w/ the
              SCA
              > (they give us discounts, the group's been meeting there once a
              week for
              > quite a while), so I think they'd help if they could.
              >
              > -Lianor
              >
              > Frederick Fenters wrote:
              > > I posted this once before, but will do so again. If you have a
              range that
              > > is not allowing crossbows, approach the range owner and ask
              why. If you
              > > explain what you are doing, ie a re-creation organization, and
              also explain
              > > that your crossbows are not the tricked out massive
              modern "superweapons"
              > > you may get a sympathetic response. If not, nothing lost except
              a few
              > > minutes of time and you have gained the opportunity to have
              tried recruiting
              > > a new person for SCA.
              > >

              > > Padraig MacRaighne

            • Tamr
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 20, 2006
                Kim at Seven Meadows is a wonderful person to talk to on the phone,
                she is very helpful and a great musician too. She is personaly friends
                with the boyer of the bows she distributes and is a member of his
                band. She happens to be in Hungary at the moment. Seven Meadows is
                also in Washington State.

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Allison Roth <teleute@...> wrote:

                > jameswolfden wrote:
                > > Where in Canada are you? There are a number of SCA merchants who
                sell horsebows as
                > > well. One of them is probably at Pennsic. I live in B.C. and would
                likely get one from
                > > Andras Truemark out of Washington State. Your local archery shop
                may also carry the
                > > Samick SKB Korean bow which looks a little more modern.
                > >
                > I'm in Calgary. I've only been to a couple of events, but I have yet to
                > see anything like this. I've gone through the inventory of any local
                > places that sell bows and not seen any of the Korean ones...:-(
                >
                > Just browsing Truemark Archery - seems to be the same horsebow line as
                > the Seven Meadows site. But you've had a good experience with them
                > personally?
                >
                > > Most of the horsebows being sold are modern fiberglass recreations
                and are set up for
                > > drawlengths of 28". You can use a three finger grip no problem or
                try the mongolian
                > > release. Your drawlength will still be dependent on where you anchor.
                > >
                > Right, but the poundage is the trick, right? If I have a certain
                > poundage at one release point, won't it be different at the other?
                >
                > > Are crossbows not allowed on your local range? We have a similiar
                problem but I am still
                > > able to get out and practise at events and on private land.
                > Nope - no crossbows at the local range. And given that all practices
                > and local events are held there, I think I'd have a hard time getting
                > proficient. :-)
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > -Lianor

              • Allison Roth
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 20, 2006
                  *nod* We've exchanged a couple of emails and she's seemed quite
                  helpful - however, I figured it never hurts to check around. :-) Plus
                  if I could find it in Canada, it would save the expense and hassle of
                  getting it across the border. Sadly, I don't think that'll happen.

                  -Lianor

                • dmerrill@omnicityusa.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 20, 2006
                    If you look at www.horsebows.com under their dealer tab there are two lisyed in
                    Canada.

                    Dayrl

                    Quoting Allison Roth <teleute@...>:

                    > *nod* We've exchanged a couple of emails and she's seemed quite
                    > helpful - however, I figured it never hurts to check around. :-) Plus
                    > if I could find it in Canada, it would save the expense and hassle of
                    > getting it across the border. Sadly, I don't think that'll happen.
                    >
                    > -Lianor
                    >
                    > Tamr wrote:
                    > > Kim at Seven Meadows is a wonderful person to talk to on the phone,
                    > > she is very helpful and a great musician too. She is personaly friends
                    > > with the boyer of the bows she distributes and is a member of his
                    > > band. She happens to be in Hungary at the moment. Seven Meadows is
                    > > also in Washington State.
                    > >
                    > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Allison Roth <teleute@...> wrote:

                    > > sell horsebows as

                    > > likely get one from

                    > > may also carry the

                    > >> I'm in Calgary. I've only been to a couple of events, but I have yet to
                    > >> see anything like this. I've gone through the inventory of any local
                    > >> places that sell bows and not seen any of the Korean ones...:-(
                    > >>
                    > >> Just browsing Truemark Archery - seems to be the same horsebow line as
                    > >> the Seven Meadows site. But you've had a good experience with them
                    > >> personally?

                    > > and are set up for

                    > > try the mongolian

                    > >> Right, but the poundage is the trick, right? If I have a certain
                    > >> poundage at one release point, won't it be different at the other?

                    > > problem but I am still

                    > >> Nope - no crossbows at the local range. And given that all practices
                    > >> and local events are held there, I think I'd have a hard time getting
                    > >> proficient. :-)
                    > >>
                    > >> Thanks!
                    > >>
                    > >> -Lianor

                  • Allison Roth
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 20, 2006
                      Ack! So there are. The bows may be good, but I just find that web page
                      so difficult to navigate - I can't even read the buttons without
                      highlighting them, due to the font colour.

                      Anyway, I'll check into them further. One of the two has a website, but
                      no horsebows listed, so they may have stopped carrying them; the other
                      doesn't have a website at all so I'll have to contact them directly.

                      Thanks!

                      -Lianor

                    • atruemark@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 20, 2006
                        I will second the information about Kimberely and Seven Meadows Archery. If
                        you want a nice horsebow in two or three different styles, check them out.
                        Website is _www.sevenmeadowsarchery.com_ (http://www.sevenmeadowsarchery.com)
                        .

                        Andras Truemark

                      • Kinjal of Moravia
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 21, 2006
                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Jason C. Russo"
                          <jason.russo.va@...> wrote:

                          > As far as *eastern* shooting, not necessarily Mongolian--I am
                          assuming you
                          > are discussing the use of a thumb ring. For $13.00 at
                          horsebows.com you can
                          > purchase a book and for $18 you can buy a heavy weight brass thumb
                          ring. I
                          > love it! Once I got used to it I like it a great deal better than
                          western
                          > shooting. You will need a thumb glove though. When you use a
                          thumb ring,
                          > you shoot off the thumb-shelf of your other hand.

                          I got one of these brass thumb rings and it is great! -- adjustable
                          also. I chose to file a groove in mine to catch the string (1/4
                          inch from back edge)similar to an old one I lost. Previously,
                          finding a thumb ring has been a problem -- huzzah!

                          Also, a glove is not necessary except for feather cuts. There are a
                          number of suggestions in the Archives here on this. I generally use
                          a weight-lifter half glove -- cost about a buck. I pull to my cheek
                          to avoid shaking (Farmer's Palsy) and am practicing a 'push-pull'
                          technique with both eyes open. I use a belt quiver and load from
                          the bottom, then flip over on the half-draw with the arrow pointed
                          at the ground. When my thumb is locked and I 'connect' with the
                          target, I thrust out my bow hand and release instantly with no
                          aiming. This is a modified Scythian technique (they shot from the
                          chest)

                          Kinjal
                        • Luigi Kapaj
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 21, 2006
                            > 1) Location.

                            http://www.NYCMongol.com/archery.html

                            I import composite bows from Mongolia. Contact me for more details at
                            Mongol@...

                            Also, Of the two you mentioned, I have 2 Kassai bows from Horsebows and no
                            complaints, but no experience with the other.

                            > 2) Style of shooting. I'd like to try the Mongolian Draw.

                            If you are near NY, or plan to hit any events within a few hours drive of
                            the City, I would be happy to teach you the Mongol thumb draw. You draw to
                            the chest, near the nipple, and don't exactly anchor. In my case, the draw
                            length increases about 6" to 36" compared to drawing to the cheek.

                            Also consider that how you draw the bow is restricted to the type of bow you
                            have. You could draw with your thumb on a long bow and your fingers on a
                            composite bow.

                            From your Canada comment, I would guess you are not near NY. You may want to
                            contact Jaap of Yumi bows, who I think is near Toronto, at
                            kkoppedr@...

                            > 4) Accessories. Again, any thoughts anyone has on accessories are
                            > welcome. Material for the ring? Gloves?

                            Ring not gloves. I think only the Japanese used gloves with a thumb draw.
                            For starting out, make yourself a leather thumbring:

                            http://SilverHorde.ViaHistoria.com/ThumbRing.html

                            It takes about 10 minutes and some scrap leather.

                            I do shoot with a welders glove when I do combat archery without much of a
                            problem. But the thumb ring is much cleaner and important for starting out.

                            > detrimental to speed draw rounds. Armguard I think is relatively
                            > straightforward.

                            Don't use an arm guard. Instead, wear you long sleeved garb and use a
                            leather lace to tie up the fabric tightly to your bow arm.

                            -Puppy

                            Gulugjab Tangghudai
                            Khan of the Silver Horde

                            http://www.NYCMongol.com
                            * Merchanting at Pennsic *
                          • Tamr
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 22, 2006
                              Thanx for the help.
                              The closest I get to NYC is Columbia County, NY. I'm from Syracuse but
                              I started in the SCA in the 1980's in Three Rivers out in Calontyre.

                              Puppy, do you ever get to Boston events or anything in Upstate NY? I
                              would like to meet you.

                              I know that this is not a site designed for just SCA news so my
                              appologies but I just found out that the SCA lost one of the most
                              gracious and real members it has ever had. Dragon's Flower from Three
                              Rivers succomed to cancer on May 29, 2006. If anyone knew her and
                              didn't know, grieve with me. I just found out last night.

                              Tamr