Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Looking for a Bowyer

  • dmerrill@omnicityusa.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
      Kevin

      I don't personnaly know a bowyer to recommend but you might repeat your request
      at www.tradtalk.com it is a forum for traditional archery although they expand
      their view or traditional to any thing with out wheels or pullys. Many shoot
      carbon or aluminum shafts. I do know that some are bowyers bit I don't know if
      any can meet your needs.

      Rask Ulfbjorn

      mka Dayrl Merrill

      P.S. If you need a source for wood arrows I do make them.

    • blooney@wi.rr.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
        Here are two links to bowyers you might consider: authentic, top of
        the line, beautiful work - talk to them about your needs.

        http://www.donadamsarchery.com/

        http://www.selfbow.com/hickyew/timbercruiser.html

        William of Mann

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
          The Archers of St. Sebatian doesn't advertise bowyers on their website.
          However there were a few bowyers in their mist. The other good source for
          finding a bowyer is Primitive Archer magazine. They have many vendors
          listed that would probably fit the bill. If not and money is no object
          there is a bowyer in England who is renown for his longbow and was used by
          Mike Loads to test the effectiveness of the longbow in combat. If you want
          that information let me know. I can dig it up.

          I hope I didn't offend asking why to the heavy poundage. Most archers are
          not conditioned or have the time to condition themselves to draw such a
          heavy weight. That is a great goal to do and I understand the desire.
          There is a British guy who pulls a bow over 100#.

          --
          Willie P. Terada
          Est Sularus oth Mithas

        • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 13, 2006
            Konrad,

            I have personal experience with both Jay St. Charles, and John Strunk.
            Jay is by Seattle Washington, and John lives in Tillamook Oregon.

            Both are contributing editors to the 3 book series of the "Bowyer's Bible).

            Both gentlemen build excellent quality bows. I have taken a bow building
            class from each of them.

            They won't come cheap, but then with bows, you get what you pay for.

            Jay's business is "Pacific Yew Longbows", his web site is:
            "www.http://www.selfbow.com"
            John can be found in the whitepages for Tillamook Oregon.

            I myself will be building a 90lb longbow in the next 6 months.... for
            very much the same reason you mention.

            Both my bows are 60-62lb, and I also have been shooting that weight for
            6 years now. With proper weight training, and shooting.... the 90lb'r
            should be no problem.

            Good luck Konrad

            Godwin
          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 20, 2006
              The "Welsh flat bow" (from what I've heard,
              > there are welsh examples of flat bows) were more durible, and
              > considered to be the type of bow that one could possibly hand down to
              > one's kids.

              A self bow can be handed down to one's kids, but I would recomend that it be
              labled and hung on the wall "This is the bow my dad shot". All wood bows
              will brake!!! Third arrow, 200 arrows, 6000 arrows, handed to the son, one
              arrow, 10 arrows, 100 arrows, at some time it will break.

              James Cunningham
              On my forth wood, bow broke the first three.
            • WilliamTheArcher@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 22, 2006
                Where has this site been all my life?
                Wow.

                (As an aside, anyone who doesn't know it, Howard Hill was the stunt "archer"
                in Erroll Flynns "Robin Hood." All the extra's were "shot" by him. They wore
                plywood "armor" under their costumes. Any "archery trick" in the movie is real.
                And shot by Mr. Hill.)

                In a message dated 8/11/06 5:46:50 AM, lewindepartone@... writes:

                > I know that Howard Hill use to shoot a 100# bow every day. even late
                > into his life. might want to try
                > http://www.howardhihttp://wwwhttp://www.http
                >
                > "Any traditional longbow may be ordered in lengths from 60 to 70
                > inches, in even numbered increments. Bamboo bows may be requested at
                > any weight up to 200 lbs., and up to a 32" draw. Other woods will not
                > be guaranteed over 90 lbs. and up to a 30" draw. When a bow is
                > ordered in excess of 75lbs., there is an additional charge of $2 per
                > lb. up to 100#, and $5/lb. over 100#."
                >
                > Lewin de Partone

                William the Archer

              • WilliamTheArcher@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 22, 2006
                  In a message dated 8/11/06 10:29:30 PM, will.terada@... writes:

                  > I'm just curious as to why you would want to pull such a heavy poundage. To
                  > get up to such a weight will take plenty of exercise to condition your arm
                  > and fingers to pull it. Just take it slow and careful because you can cause
                  > yourself to never shoot again. If you are a target archery, the heavy
                  > poundage isn't really necessary except for bragging rights that you can pull
                  > such poundage. During college, the men's team average 55# for FITA shoots
                  > and dropping to 40# during indoor shoots.

                  I too am facinated by the fact that archers in the 100 Years War fought with
                  100 pound bows.
                  Love to pull one. Once.

                  But 50 is my max for event shooting.

                  William the Archer

                • WilliamTheArcher@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 22, 2006
                    In a message dated 8/12/06 4:52:59 AM, project203@... writes:

                    > That being said, I would like to re-iterate my previous sentiment that
                    > I don't feel that I should have to explain my reasoning for purchasing
                    > an item of my choosing.

                    Wait! This is an SCA list! You expect to get responses without advice and
                    opinion! :)

                    William the Archer