Re: Looking for a Bowyer

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
      Hello all,
      First, I would like to thank everyone for the generous response to my
      post.
      While I don't feel an explaination of my request is necessary, for
      those oh-so-curious folk I will attempt to explain.
      I've been shooting for quite a while, and at my peak I was shooting a
      combination of my FITA bow and my 56# longbow almost every day of the
      week. I worked at the archery shop that I shot at (Archery Only...
      Newark, CA) for the better part of my shooting career.
      My first reason for wanting a bow is purely that of romantic
      nostalgia; I want to be able to own a Real "warbow"... one that is in
      every way similar to a bow that a medieval archer would shoot. Call it
      nostalgia, call it a romanticized view of archery, call it folly. It's
      what appeals to me.
      Secondly, I see the idea of being able to pull and shoot a 100# draw
      bow (even if it were just once) a challenging and exciting goal to
      attain to.

      That being said, I would like to re-iterate my previous sentiment that
      I don't feel that I should have to explain my reasoning for purchasing
      an item of my choosing. While I only asked if anyone knew of a bowyer
      that could accomidate me, the only person that ACTUALLY gave any
      information of any relevence or usefull-ness was Lewin de Partone, and
      Willie P. Terada (although I didn't find any bows on St. Sebastian's
      website Will). I'm sorry if my words are brash, but I just wanted to
      convey my opinion based off of the response that I got.

      Thank you for all your help and advice! In my search for a 100# bow,
      I had accepted the fact that it might be a harder object to find, and
      therefore might have to settle for a lesser draw bow. I had hoped to
      get something of at least 90lbs. (with a max of 100) but would
      actually settle for 80lbs. That being said, I got contacted by a
      bowyer who offered a hickory 80# English LongBow for $180, or a
      hickory Flat Bow for $170. Neither would have an arrow shelf.

      I am leaning towards the flatbow, "Welsh flat bow," because from what
      I've heard from my responses, the English "D-shaped" bows were of a
      more disposible design, and bent through out the whole stave,
      including the handle. The "Welsh flat bow" (from what I've heard,
      there are welsh examples of flat bows) were more durible, and
      considered to be the type of bow that one could possibly hand down to
      one's kids.

      If anyone has any information regarding the authenticity of flat bows
      in period, I would more than eargly be willing to listen. I foremost
      want a period accurate longbow, but if a flat bow happens to be
      accurate then I would prefer that.

      Thanks again! I truely do appreciate the feedback.

      -Kevin-
      Konrad von Luxembourg

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Will Terada" <will.terada@...> wrote:

      > I'm just curious as to why you would want to pull such a heavy
      poundage. To
      > get up to such a weight will take plenty of exercise to condition
      your arm
      > and fingers to pull it. Just take it slow and careful because you
      can cause
      > yourself to never shoot again. If you are a target archery, the heavy
      > poundage isn't really necessary except for bragging rights that you
      can pull
      > such poundage. During college, the men's team average 55# for FITA
      shoots
      > and dropping to 40# during indoor shoots.
      >
      > On 8/11/06, Lewin de Partone <lewindepartone@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Im a fairly big guy and I can pull my 72#@28 bow fairly easy for
      > > about 3 dozen arrows and that it. my arm is jello. typically for
      > > target archery I would sugest not getting anything much over 50#@28.
      > > I use a 40#@28 that way I can hold and take my time aiming.
      > >
      > > Lewin
      > >

      > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
      <SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>, Fritz

    • dmerrill@omnicityusa.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
        Kevin

        I don't personnaly know a bowyer to recommend but you might repeat your request
        at www.tradtalk.com it is a forum for traditional archery although they expand
        their view or traditional to any thing with out wheels or pullys. Many shoot
        carbon or aluminum shafts. I do know that some are bowyers bit I don't know if
        any can meet your needs.

        Rask Ulfbjorn

        mka Dayrl Merrill

        P.S. If you need a source for wood arrows I do make them.

      • blooney@wi.rr.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
          Here are two links to bowyers you might consider: authentic, top of
          the line, beautiful work - talk to them about your needs.

          http://www.donadamsarchery.com/

          http://www.selfbow.com/hickyew/timbercruiser.html

          William of Mann

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
            The Archers of St. Sebatian doesn't advertise bowyers on their website.
            However there were a few bowyers in their mist. The other good source for
            finding a bowyer is Primitive Archer magazine. They have many vendors
            listed that would probably fit the bill. If not and money is no object
            there is a bowyer in England who is renown for his longbow and was used by
            Mike Loads to test the effectiveness of the longbow in combat. If you want
            that information let me know. I can dig it up.

            I hope I didn't offend asking why to the heavy poundage. Most archers are
            not conditioned or have the time to condition themselves to draw such a
            heavy weight. That is a great goal to do and I understand the desire.
            There is a British guy who pulls a bow over 100#.

            On 8/12/06, blooney@... <blooney@...> wrote:

            > Here are two links to bowyers you might consider: authentic, top of
            > the line, beautiful work - talk to them about your needs.
            >
            > http://www.donadamsarchery.com/
            >
            > http://www.selfbow.com/hickyew/timbercruiser.html
            >
            > William of Mann

          • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 13, 2006
              Konrad,

              I have personal experience with both Jay St. Charles, and John Strunk.
              Jay is by Seattle Washington, and John lives in Tillamook Oregon.

              Both are contributing editors to the 3 book series of the "Bowyer's Bible).

              Both gentlemen build excellent quality bows. I have taken a bow building
              class from each of them.

              They won't come cheap, but then with bows, you get what you pay for.

              Jay's business is "Pacific Yew Longbows", his web site is:
              "www.http://www.selfbow.com"
              John can be found in the whitepages for Tillamook Oregon.

              I myself will be building a 90lb longbow in the next 6 months.... for
              very much the same reason you mention.

              Both my bows are 60-62lb, and I also have been shooting that weight for
              6 years now. With proper weight training, and shooting.... the 90lb'r
              should be no problem.

              Good luck Konrad

              Godwin
            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 20, 2006
                The "Welsh flat bow" (from what I've heard,
                > there are welsh examples of flat bows) were more durible, and
                > considered to be the type of bow that one could possibly hand down to
                > one's kids.

                A self bow can be handed down to one's kids, but I would recomend that it be
                labled and hung on the wall "This is the bow my dad shot". All wood bows
                will brake!!! Third arrow, 200 arrows, 6000 arrows, handed to the son, one
                arrow, 10 arrows, 100 arrows, at some time it will break.

                James Cunningham
                On my forth wood, bow broke the first three.
              • WilliamTheArcher@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 22, 2006
                  Where has this site been all my life?
                  Wow.

                  (As an aside, anyone who doesn't know it, Howard Hill was the stunt "archer"
                  in Erroll Flynns "Robin Hood." All the extra's were "shot" by him. They wore
                  plywood "armor" under their costumes. Any "archery trick" in the movie is real.
                  And shot by Mr. Hill.)

                  In a message dated 8/11/06 5:46:50 AM, lewindepartone@... writes:

                  > I know that Howard Hill use to shoot a 100# bow every day. even late
                  > into his life. might want to try
                  > http://www.howardhihttp://wwwhttp://www.http
                  >
                  > "Any traditional longbow may be ordered in lengths from 60 to 70
                  > inches, in even numbered increments. Bamboo bows may be requested at
                  > any weight up to 200 lbs., and up to a 32" draw. Other woods will not
                  > be guaranteed over 90 lbs. and up to a 30" draw. When a bow is
                  > ordered in excess of 75lbs., there is an additional charge of $2 per
                  > lb. up to 100#, and $5/lb. over 100#."
                  >
                  > Lewin de Partone

                  William the Archer

                • WilliamTheArcher@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 22, 2006
                    In a message dated 8/11/06 10:29:30 PM, will.terada@... writes:

                    > I'm just curious as to why you would want to pull such a heavy poundage. To
                    > get up to such a weight will take plenty of exercise to condition your arm
                    > and fingers to pull it. Just take it slow and careful because you can cause
                    > yourself to never shoot again. If you are a target archery, the heavy
                    > poundage isn't really necessary except for bragging rights that you can pull
                    > such poundage. During college, the men's team average 55# for FITA shoots
                    > and dropping to 40# during indoor shoots.

                    I too am facinated by the fact that archers in the 100 Years War fought with
                    100 pound bows.
                    Love to pull one. Once.

                    But 50 is my max for event shooting.

                    William the Archer

                  • WilliamTheArcher@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 22, 2006
                      In a message dated 8/12/06 4:52:59 AM, project203@... writes:

                      > That being said, I would like to re-iterate my previous sentiment that
                      > I don't feel that I should have to explain my reasoning for purchasing
                      > an item of my choosing.

                      Wait! This is an SCA list! You expect to get responses without advice and
                      opinion! :)

                      William the Archer