Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Looking for a Bowyer

  • Will Terada
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 11, 2006
      I'm just curious as to why you would want to pull such a heavy poundage. To
      get up to such a weight will take plenty of exercise to condition your arm
      and fingers to pull it. Just take it slow and careful because you can cause
      yourself to never shoot again. If you are a target archery, the heavy
      poundage isn't really necessary except for bragging rights that you can pull
      such poundage. During college, the men's team average 55# for FITA shoots
      and dropping to 40# during indoor shoots.

      --
      Willie P. Terada
      Est Sularus oth Mithas

    • Kevin
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
        Hello all,
        First, I would like to thank everyone for the generous response to my
        post.
        While I don't feel an explaination of my request is necessary, for
        those oh-so-curious folk I will attempt to explain.
        I've been shooting for quite a while, and at my peak I was shooting a
        combination of my FITA bow and my 56# longbow almost every day of the
        week. I worked at the archery shop that I shot at (Archery Only...
        Newark, CA) for the better part of my shooting career.
        My first reason for wanting a bow is purely that of romantic
        nostalgia; I want to be able to own a Real "warbow"... one that is in
        every way similar to a bow that a medieval archer would shoot. Call it
        nostalgia, call it a romanticized view of archery, call it folly. It's
        what appeals to me.
        Secondly, I see the idea of being able to pull and shoot a 100# draw
        bow (even if it were just once) a challenging and exciting goal to
        attain to.

        That being said, I would like to re-iterate my previous sentiment that
        I don't feel that I should have to explain my reasoning for purchasing
        an item of my choosing. While I only asked if anyone knew of a bowyer
        that could accomidate me, the only person that ACTUALLY gave any
        information of any relevence or usefull-ness was Lewin de Partone, and
        Willie P. Terada (although I didn't find any bows on St. Sebastian's
        website Will). I'm sorry if my words are brash, but I just wanted to
        convey my opinion based off of the response that I got.

        Thank you for all your help and advice! In my search for a 100# bow,
        I had accepted the fact that it might be a harder object to find, and
        therefore might have to settle for a lesser draw bow. I had hoped to
        get something of at least 90lbs. (with a max of 100) but would
        actually settle for 80lbs. That being said, I got contacted by a
        bowyer who offered a hickory 80# English LongBow for $180, or a
        hickory Flat Bow for $170. Neither would have an arrow shelf.

        I am leaning towards the flatbow, "Welsh flat bow," because from what
        I've heard from my responses, the English "D-shaped" bows were of a
        more disposible design, and bent through out the whole stave,
        including the handle. The "Welsh flat bow" (from what I've heard,
        there are welsh examples of flat bows) were more durible, and
        considered to be the type of bow that one could possibly hand down to
        one's kids.

        If anyone has any information regarding the authenticity of flat bows
        in period, I would more than eargly be willing to listen. I foremost
        want a period accurate longbow, but if a flat bow happens to be
        accurate then I would prefer that.

        Thanks again! I truely do appreciate the feedback.

        -Kevin-
        Konrad von Luxembourg

      • dmerrill@omnicityusa.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
          Kevin

          I don't personnaly know a bowyer to recommend but you might repeat your request
          at www.tradtalk.com it is a forum for traditional archery although they expand
          their view or traditional to any thing with out wheels or pullys. Many shoot
          carbon or aluminum shafts. I do know that some are bowyers bit I don't know if
          any can meet your needs.

          Rask Ulfbjorn

          mka Dayrl Merrill

          P.S. If you need a source for wood arrows I do make them.

        • blooney@wi.rr.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
            Here are two links to bowyers you might consider: authentic, top of
            the line, beautiful work - talk to them about your needs.

            http://www.donadamsarchery.com/

            http://www.selfbow.com/hickyew/timbercruiser.html

            William of Mann

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
              The Archers of St. Sebatian doesn't advertise bowyers on their website.
              However there were a few bowyers in their mist. The other good source for
              finding a bowyer is Primitive Archer magazine. They have many vendors
              listed that would probably fit the bill. If not and money is no object
              there is a bowyer in England who is renown for his longbow and was used by
              Mike Loads to test the effectiveness of the longbow in combat. If you want
              that information let me know. I can dig it up.

              I hope I didn't offend asking why to the heavy poundage. Most archers are
              not conditioned or have the time to condition themselves to draw such a
              heavy weight. That is a great goal to do and I understand the desire.
              There is a British guy who pulls a bow over 100#.

              On 8/12/06, blooney@... <blooney@...> wrote:

              > Here are two links to bowyers you might consider: authentic, top of
              > the line, beautiful work - talk to them about your needs.
              >
              > http://www.donadamsarchery.com/
              >
              > http://www.selfbow.com/hickyew/timbercruiser.html
              >
              > William of Mann

            • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 13, 2006
                Konrad,

                I have personal experience with both Jay St. Charles, and John Strunk.
                Jay is by Seattle Washington, and John lives in Tillamook Oregon.

                Both are contributing editors to the 3 book series of the "Bowyer's Bible).

                Both gentlemen build excellent quality bows. I have taken a bow building
                class from each of them.

                They won't come cheap, but then with bows, you get what you pay for.

                Jay's business is "Pacific Yew Longbows", his web site is:
                "www.http://www.selfbow.com"
                John can be found in the whitepages for Tillamook Oregon.

                I myself will be building a 90lb longbow in the next 6 months.... for
                very much the same reason you mention.

                Both my bows are 60-62lb, and I also have been shooting that weight for
                6 years now. With proper weight training, and shooting.... the 90lb'r
                should be no problem.

                Good luck Konrad

                Godwin
              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 20, 2006
                  The "Welsh flat bow" (from what I've heard,
                  > there are welsh examples of flat bows) were more durible, and
                  > considered to be the type of bow that one could possibly hand down to
                  > one's kids.

                  A self bow can be handed down to one's kids, but I would recomend that it be
                  labled and hung on the wall "This is the bow my dad shot". All wood bows
                  will brake!!! Third arrow, 200 arrows, 6000 arrows, handed to the son, one
                  arrow, 10 arrows, 100 arrows, at some time it will break.

                  James Cunningham
                  On my forth wood, bow broke the first three.
                • WilliamTheArcher@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 22, 2006
                    Where has this site been all my life?
                    Wow.

                    (As an aside, anyone who doesn't know it, Howard Hill was the stunt "archer"
                    in Erroll Flynns "Robin Hood." All the extra's were "shot" by him. They wore
                    plywood "armor" under their costumes. Any "archery trick" in the movie is real.
                    And shot by Mr. Hill.)

                    In a message dated 8/11/06 5:46:50 AM, lewindepartone@... writes:

                    > I know that Howard Hill use to shoot a 100# bow every day. even late
                    > into his life. might want to try
                    > http://www.howardhihttp://wwwhttp://www.http
                    >
                    > "Any traditional longbow may be ordered in lengths from 60 to 70
                    > inches, in even numbered increments. Bamboo bows may be requested at
                    > any weight up to 200 lbs., and up to a 32" draw. Other woods will not
                    > be guaranteed over 90 lbs. and up to a 30" draw. When a bow is
                    > ordered in excess of 75lbs., there is an additional charge of $2 per
                    > lb. up to 100#, and $5/lb. over 100#."
                    >
                    > Lewin de Partone

                    William the Archer

                  • WilliamTheArcher@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 22, 2006
                      In a message dated 8/11/06 10:29:30 PM, will.terada@... writes:

                      > I'm just curious as to why you would want to pull such a heavy poundage. To
                      > get up to such a weight will take plenty of exercise to condition your arm
                      > and fingers to pull it. Just take it slow and careful because you can cause
                      > yourself to never shoot again. If you are a target archery, the heavy
                      > poundage isn't really necessary except for bragging rights that you can pull
                      > such poundage. During college, the men's team average 55# for FITA shoots
                      > and dropping to 40# during indoor shoots.

                      I too am facinated by the fact that archers in the 100 Years War fought with
                      100 pound bows.
                      Love to pull one. Once.

                      But 50 is my max for event shooting.

                      William the Archer

                    • WilliamTheArcher@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 22, 2006
                        In a message dated 8/12/06 4:52:59 AM, project203@... writes:

                        > That being said, I would like to re-iterate my previous sentiment that
                        > I don't feel that I should have to explain my reasoning for purchasing
                        > an item of my choosing.

                        Wait! This is an SCA list! You expect to get responses without advice and
                        opinion! :)

                        William the Archer