Re: [SCA-Archery] Looking for a Bowyer

  • Fritz
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 11 3:01 AM
      Kevin wrote:
      > Hello,
      > I've been shooting for 8 years, and I have a 56# longbow, but am now
      > looking for something to condition with. It has always been a goal of
      > mine to own a period-style 100# draw longbow (about 6' long.)
      > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf has suggested that I post here looking for a bowyer.
      > My requirements are simple: 6' long, 100 lb. draw, able to pass for
      > period.

      Careful.
      Go up slowly. Don't go straight to 100. I've been shooting for 15 years.
      In April I tried to jump up too far too fast.
      Bad move.
      Pop! I strained my...
      Palmaris Longus
      Flexor Digitorum Profundus
      and
      Opponens Pollicus
      (Check the archives for: Pop! Oops. Archery injury.) I don't know when
      I'll shoot again. Not this Pensic. that's for sure. Not even taking a bow.

      Off to war.

      - Fritz
    • Frederick Fenters
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 11 11:23 AM
        I would suggest that you look around you at events and practices. When you
        find someone shooting a bow similar to what you wish to procure, ask where
        he/she/it acquired the bow. That may get you in touch with a bowyer who is
        more local to you. Another suggestion is to go to
        http://www.3riversarchery.com <http://www.3riversarchery.com/> and check
        their listings for traditional archery shoots. They compile a list and
        calendar for the entire country.

        That's my couple of pence worth. Please let us know how your search
        proceeds and how you feel about the people you encounter making bows. All
        information is useful to someone.

        Padraig MacRaighne

      • Lewin de Partone
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 11 2:16 PM
          Im a fairly big guy and I can pull my 72#@28 bow fairly easy for
          about 3 dozen arrows and that it. my arm is jello. typically for
          target archery I would sugest not getting anything much over 50#@28.
          I use a 40#@28 that way I can hold and take my time aiming.

          Lewin

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Fritz <carl.west@...> wrote:

          > Careful.
          > Go up slowly. Don't go straight to 100. I've been shooting for 15
          years.
          > In April I tried to jump up too far too fast.
          > Bad move.
          > Pop! I strained my...
          > Palmaris Longus
          > Flexor Digitorum Profundus
          > and
          > Opponens Pollicus
          > (Check the archives for: Pop! Oops. Archery injury.) I don't know
          when
          > I'll shoot again. Not this Pensic. that's for sure. Not even taking
          a bow.

          > Off to war.
          >
          > - Fritz

        • Will Terada
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 11 7:29 PM
            I'm just curious as to why you would want to pull such a heavy poundage. To
            get up to such a weight will take plenty of exercise to condition your arm
            and fingers to pull it. Just take it slow and careful because you can cause
            yourself to never shoot again. If you are a target archery, the heavy
            poundage isn't really necessary except for bragging rights that you can pull
            such poundage. During college, the men's team average 55# for FITA shoots
            and dropping to 40# during indoor shoots.

            --
            Willie P. Terada
            Est Sularus oth Mithas

          • Kevin
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 12 1:51 AM
              Hello all,
              First, I would like to thank everyone for the generous response to my
              post.
              While I don't feel an explaination of my request is necessary, for
              those oh-so-curious folk I will attempt to explain.
              I've been shooting for quite a while, and at my peak I was shooting a
              combination of my FITA bow and my 56# longbow almost every day of the
              week. I worked at the archery shop that I shot at (Archery Only...
              Newark, CA) for the better part of my shooting career.
              My first reason for wanting a bow is purely that of romantic
              nostalgia; I want to be able to own a Real "warbow"... one that is in
              every way similar to a bow that a medieval archer would shoot. Call it
              nostalgia, call it a romanticized view of archery, call it folly. It's
              what appeals to me.
              Secondly, I see the idea of being able to pull and shoot a 100# draw
              bow (even if it were just once) a challenging and exciting goal to
              attain to.

              That being said, I would like to re-iterate my previous sentiment that
              I don't feel that I should have to explain my reasoning for purchasing
              an item of my choosing. While I only asked if anyone knew of a bowyer
              that could accomidate me, the only person that ACTUALLY gave any
              information of any relevence or usefull-ness was Lewin de Partone, and
              Willie P. Terada (although I didn't find any bows on St. Sebastian's
              website Will). I'm sorry if my words are brash, but I just wanted to
              convey my opinion based off of the response that I got.

              Thank you for all your help and advice! In my search for a 100# bow,
              I had accepted the fact that it might be a harder object to find, and
              therefore might have to settle for a lesser draw bow. I had hoped to
              get something of at least 90lbs. (with a max of 100) but would
              actually settle for 80lbs. That being said, I got contacted by a
              bowyer who offered a hickory 80# English LongBow for $180, or a
              hickory Flat Bow for $170. Neither would have an arrow shelf.

              I am leaning towards the flatbow, "Welsh flat bow," because from what
              I've heard from my responses, the English "D-shaped" bows were of a
              more disposible design, and bent through out the whole stave,
              including the handle. The "Welsh flat bow" (from what I've heard,
              there are welsh examples of flat bows) were more durible, and
              considered to be the type of bow that one could possibly hand down to
              one's kids.

              If anyone has any information regarding the authenticity of flat bows
              in period, I would more than eargly be willing to listen. I foremost
              want a period accurate longbow, but if a flat bow happens to be
              accurate then I would prefer that.

              Thanks again! I truely do appreciate the feedback.

              -Kevin-
              Konrad von Luxembourg

            • dmerrill@omnicityusa.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 12 5:40 AM
                Kevin

                I don't personnaly know a bowyer to recommend but you might repeat your request
                at www.tradtalk.com it is a forum for traditional archery although they expand
                their view or traditional to any thing with out wheels or pullys. Many shoot
                carbon or aluminum shafts. I do know that some are bowyers bit I don't know if
                any can meet your needs.

                Rask Ulfbjorn

                mka Dayrl Merrill

                P.S. If you need a source for wood arrows I do make them.

              • blooney@wi.rr.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 12 7:58 AM
                  Here are two links to bowyers you might consider: authentic, top of
                  the line, beautiful work - talk to them about your needs.

                  http://www.donadamsarchery.com/

                  http://www.selfbow.com/hickyew/timbercruiser.html

                  William of Mann

                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 12 10:58 AM
                    The Archers of St. Sebatian doesn't advertise bowyers on their website.
                    However there were a few bowyers in their mist. The other good source for
                    finding a bowyer is Primitive Archer magazine. They have many vendors
                    listed that would probably fit the bill. If not and money is no object
                    there is a bowyer in England who is renown for his longbow and was used by
                    Mike Loads to test the effectiveness of the longbow in combat. If you want
                    that information let me know. I can dig it up.

                    I hope I didn't offend asking why to the heavy poundage. Most archers are
                    not conditioned or have the time to condition themselves to draw such a
                    heavy weight. That is a great goal to do and I understand the desire.
                    There is a British guy who pulls a bow over 100#.

                    On 8/12/06, blooney@... <blooney@...> wrote:

                    > Here are two links to bowyers you might consider: authentic, top of
                    > the line, beautiful work - talk to them about your needs.
                    >
                    > http://www.donadamsarchery.com/
                    >
                    > http://www.selfbow.com/hickyew/timbercruiser.html
                    >
                    > William of Mann

                  • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 13 1:42 PM
                      Konrad,

                      I have personal experience with both Jay St. Charles, and John Strunk.
                      Jay is by Seattle Washington, and John lives in Tillamook Oregon.

                      Both are contributing editors to the 3 book series of the "Bowyer's Bible).

                      Both gentlemen build excellent quality bows. I have taken a bow building
                      class from each of them.

                      They won't come cheap, but then with bows, you get what you pay for.

                      Jay's business is "Pacific Yew Longbows", his web site is:
                      "www.http://www.selfbow.com"
                      John can be found in the whitepages for Tillamook Oregon.

                      I myself will be building a 90lb longbow in the next 6 months.... for
                      very much the same reason you mention.

                      Both my bows are 60-62lb, and I also have been shooting that weight for
                      6 years now. With proper weight training, and shooting.... the 90lb'r
                      should be no problem.

                      Good luck Konrad

                      Godwin
                    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 20 3:47 PM
                        The "Welsh flat bow" (from what I've heard,
                        > there are welsh examples of flat bows) were more durible, and
                        > considered to be the type of bow that one could possibly hand down to
                        > one's kids.

                        A self bow can be handed down to one's kids, but I would recomend that it be
                        labled and hung on the wall "This is the bow my dad shot". All wood bows
                        will brake!!! Third arrow, 200 arrows, 6000 arrows, handed to the son, one
                        arrow, 10 arrows, 100 arrows, at some time it will break.

                        James Cunningham
                        On my forth wood, bow broke the first three.
                      • WilliamTheArcher@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 22 6:47 AM
                          Where has this site been all my life?
                          Wow.

                          (As an aside, anyone who doesn't know it, Howard Hill was the stunt "archer"
                          in Erroll Flynns "Robin Hood." All the extra's were "shot" by him. They wore
                          plywood "armor" under their costumes. Any "archery trick" in the movie is real.
                          And shot by Mr. Hill.)

                          In a message dated 8/11/06 5:46:50 AM, lewindepartone@... writes:

                          > I know that Howard Hill use to shoot a 100# bow every day. even late
                          > into his life. might want to try
                          > http://www.howardhihttp://wwwhttp://www.http
                          >
                          > "Any traditional longbow may be ordered in lengths from 60 to 70
                          > inches, in even numbered increments. Bamboo bows may be requested at
                          > any weight up to 200 lbs., and up to a 32" draw. Other woods will not
                          > be guaranteed over 90 lbs. and up to a 30" draw. When a bow is
                          > ordered in excess of 75lbs., there is an additional charge of $2 per
                          > lb. up to 100#, and $5/lb. over 100#."
                          >
                          > Lewin de Partone

                          William the Archer

                        • WilliamTheArcher@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 22 7:12 AM
                            In a message dated 8/11/06 10:29:30 PM, will.terada@... writes:

                            > I'm just curious as to why you would want to pull such a heavy poundage. To
                            > get up to such a weight will take plenty of exercise to condition your arm
                            > and fingers to pull it. Just take it slow and careful because you can cause
                            > yourself to never shoot again. If you are a target archery, the heavy
                            > poundage isn't really necessary except for bragging rights that you can pull
                            > such poundage. During college, the men's team average 55# for FITA shoots
                            > and dropping to 40# during indoor shoots.

                            I too am facinated by the fact that archers in the 100 Years War fought with
                            100 pound bows.
                            Love to pull one. Once.

                            But 50 is my max for event shooting.

                            William the Archer

                          • WilliamTheArcher@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 22 7:36 AM
                              In a message dated 8/12/06 4:52:59 AM, project203@... writes:

                              > That being said, I would like to re-iterate my previous sentiment that
                              > I don't feel that I should have to explain my reasoning for purchasing
                              > an item of my choosing.

                              Wait! This is an SCA list! You expect to get responses without advice and
                              opinion! :)

                              William the Archer