Looking for a Bowyer

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 10, 2006
      Hello,
      I've been shooting for 8 years, and I have a 56# longbow, but am now
      looking for something to condition with. It has always been a goal of
      mine to own a period-style 100# draw longbow (about 6' long.)
      Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf has suggested that I post here looking for a bowyer.
      My requirements are simple: 6' long, 100 lb. draw, able to pass for
      period.
      Sir Jon mentioned that due to the nature of their design, the D-style
      English longbows naturally degrade in their performance over time. He
      also mentioned that there have been some references to Welsh flat
      bows.
      I think this would be more optimal for me, but at this point it's
      almost splitting hairs.
      I found a place that can produce a 6' longbow at 100 lbs, but it has
      molded hand grip section (no arrow shelf though) which I have been
      informed isn't period. However, this bow was only $225, for a 100#
      draw.

      At any rate, if anyone knows of a good bowyer, you can send them my
      way. My email is project203 @ gmail . com. Thanks everyone!
      -Kevin-
      (soon to be Konrad von Luxembourg)
    • Will Terada
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 10, 2006
        A good start for looking for a bowyer is the Archers of St. Sebatian. Last
        I remember they had a few in their ranks.

        --
        Willie P. Terada
        Est Sularus oth Mithas

      • Lewin de Partone
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 11, 2006
          I know that Howard Hill use to shoot a 100# bow every day. even late
          into his life. might want to try
          http://www.howardhillarchery.com/prices.html

          "Any traditional longbow may be ordered in lengths from 60 to 70
          inches, in even numbered increments. Bamboo bows may be requested at
          any weight up to 200 lbs., and up to a 32" draw. Other woods will not
          be guaranteed over 90 lbs. and up to a 30" draw. When a bow is
          ordered in excess of 75lbs., there is an additional charge of $2 per
          lb. up to 100#, and $5/lb. over 100#."

          Lewin de Partone

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <project203@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          > I've been shooting for 8 years, and I have a 56# longbow, but am now
          > looking for something to condition with. It has always been a goal
          of
          > mine to own a period-style 100# draw longbow (about 6' long.)
          > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf has suggested that I post here looking for a
          bowyer.
          > My requirements are simple: 6' long, 100 lb. draw, able to pass for
          > period.
          > Sir Jon mentioned that due to the nature of their design, the D-
          style
          > English longbows naturally degrade in their performance over time.
          He
          > also mentioned that there have been some references to Welsh flat
          > bows.
          > I think this would be more optimal for me, but at this point it's
          > almost splitting hairs.
          > I found a place that can produce a 6' longbow at 100 lbs, but it has
          > molded hand grip section (no arrow shelf though) which I have been
          > informed isn't period. However, this bow was only $225, for a 100#
          > draw.
          >
          > At any rate, if anyone knows of a good bowyer, you can send them my
          > way. My email is project203 @ gmail . com. Thanks everyone!
          > -Kevin-
          > (soon to be Konrad von Luxembourg)

        • Fritz
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 11, 2006
            Kevin wrote:
            > Hello,
            > I've been shooting for 8 years, and I have a 56# longbow, but am now
            > looking for something to condition with. It has always been a goal of
            > mine to own a period-style 100# draw longbow (about 6' long.)
            > Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf has suggested that I post here looking for a bowyer.
            > My requirements are simple: 6' long, 100 lb. draw, able to pass for
            > period.

            Careful.
            Go up slowly. Don't go straight to 100. I've been shooting for 15 years.
            In April I tried to jump up too far too fast.
            Bad move.
            Pop! I strained my...
            Palmaris Longus
            Flexor Digitorum Profundus
            and
            Opponens Pollicus
            (Check the archives for: Pop! Oops. Archery injury.) I don't know when
            I'll shoot again. Not this Pensic. that's for sure. Not even taking a bow.

            Off to war.

            - Fritz
          • Frederick Fenters
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 11, 2006
              I would suggest that you look around you at events and practices. When you
              find someone shooting a bow similar to what you wish to procure, ask where
              he/she/it acquired the bow. That may get you in touch with a bowyer who is
              more local to you. Another suggestion is to go to
              http://www.3riversarchery.com <http://www.3riversarchery.com/> and check
              their listings for traditional archery shoots. They compile a list and
              calendar for the entire country.

              That's my couple of pence worth. Please let us know how your search
              proceeds and how you feel about the people you encounter making bows. All
              information is useful to someone.

              Padraig MacRaighne

            • Lewin de Partone
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 11, 2006
                Im a fairly big guy and I can pull my 72#@28 bow fairly easy for
                about 3 dozen arrows and that it. my arm is jello. typically for
                target archery I would sugest not getting anything much over 50#@28.
                I use a 40#@28 that way I can hold and take my time aiming.

                Lewin

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Fritz <carl.west@...> wrote:

                > Careful.
                > Go up slowly. Don't go straight to 100. I've been shooting for 15
                years.
                > In April I tried to jump up too far too fast.
                > Bad move.
                > Pop! I strained my...
                > Palmaris Longus
                > Flexor Digitorum Profundus
                > and
                > Opponens Pollicus
                > (Check the archives for: Pop! Oops. Archery injury.) I don't know
                when
                > I'll shoot again. Not this Pensic. that's for sure. Not even taking
                a bow.

                > Off to war.
                >
                > - Fritz

              • Will Terada
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 11, 2006
                  I'm just curious as to why you would want to pull such a heavy poundage. To
                  get up to such a weight will take plenty of exercise to condition your arm
                  and fingers to pull it. Just take it slow and careful because you can cause
                  yourself to never shoot again. If you are a target archery, the heavy
                  poundage isn't really necessary except for bragging rights that you can pull
                  such poundage. During college, the men's team average 55# for FITA shoots
                  and dropping to 40# during indoor shoots.

                  --
                  Willie P. Terada
                  Est Sularus oth Mithas

                • Kevin
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
                    Hello all,
                    First, I would like to thank everyone for the generous response to my
                    post.
                    While I don't feel an explaination of my request is necessary, for
                    those oh-so-curious folk I will attempt to explain.
                    I've been shooting for quite a while, and at my peak I was shooting a
                    combination of my FITA bow and my 56# longbow almost every day of the
                    week. I worked at the archery shop that I shot at (Archery Only...
                    Newark, CA) for the better part of my shooting career.
                    My first reason for wanting a bow is purely that of romantic
                    nostalgia; I want to be able to own a Real "warbow"... one that is in
                    every way similar to a bow that a medieval archer would shoot. Call it
                    nostalgia, call it a romanticized view of archery, call it folly. It's
                    what appeals to me.
                    Secondly, I see the idea of being able to pull and shoot a 100# draw
                    bow (even if it were just once) a challenging and exciting goal to
                    attain to.

                    That being said, I would like to re-iterate my previous sentiment that
                    I don't feel that I should have to explain my reasoning for purchasing
                    an item of my choosing. While I only asked if anyone knew of a bowyer
                    that could accomidate me, the only person that ACTUALLY gave any
                    information of any relevence or usefull-ness was Lewin de Partone, and
                    Willie P. Terada (although I didn't find any bows on St. Sebastian's
                    website Will). I'm sorry if my words are brash, but I just wanted to
                    convey my opinion based off of the response that I got.

                    Thank you for all your help and advice! In my search for a 100# bow,
                    I had accepted the fact that it might be a harder object to find, and
                    therefore might have to settle for a lesser draw bow. I had hoped to
                    get something of at least 90lbs. (with a max of 100) but would
                    actually settle for 80lbs. That being said, I got contacted by a
                    bowyer who offered a hickory 80# English LongBow for $180, or a
                    hickory Flat Bow for $170. Neither would have an arrow shelf.

                    I am leaning towards the flatbow, "Welsh flat bow," because from what
                    I've heard from my responses, the English "D-shaped" bows were of a
                    more disposible design, and bent through out the whole stave,
                    including the handle. The "Welsh flat bow" (from what I've heard,
                    there are welsh examples of flat bows) were more durible, and
                    considered to be the type of bow that one could possibly hand down to
                    one's kids.

                    If anyone has any information regarding the authenticity of flat bows
                    in period, I would more than eargly be willing to listen. I foremost
                    want a period accurate longbow, but if a flat bow happens to be
                    accurate then I would prefer that.

                    Thanks again! I truely do appreciate the feedback.

                    -Kevin-
                    Konrad von Luxembourg

                  • dmerrill@omnicityusa.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
                      Kevin

                      I don't personnaly know a bowyer to recommend but you might repeat your request
                      at www.tradtalk.com it is a forum for traditional archery although they expand
                      their view or traditional to any thing with out wheels or pullys. Many shoot
                      carbon or aluminum shafts. I do know that some are bowyers bit I don't know if
                      any can meet your needs.

                      Rask Ulfbjorn

                      mka Dayrl Merrill

                      P.S. If you need a source for wood arrows I do make them.

                    • blooney@wi.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
                        Here are two links to bowyers you might consider: authentic, top of
                        the line, beautiful work - talk to them about your needs.

                        http://www.donadamsarchery.com/

                        http://www.selfbow.com/hickyew/timbercruiser.html

                        William of Mann

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 12, 2006
                          The Archers of St. Sebatian doesn't advertise bowyers on their website.
                          However there were a few bowyers in their mist. The other good source for
                          finding a bowyer is Primitive Archer magazine. They have many vendors
                          listed that would probably fit the bill. If not and money is no object
                          there is a bowyer in England who is renown for his longbow and was used by
                          Mike Loads to test the effectiveness of the longbow in combat. If you want
                          that information let me know. I can dig it up.

                          I hope I didn't offend asking why to the heavy poundage. Most archers are
                          not conditioned or have the time to condition themselves to draw such a
                          heavy weight. That is a great goal to do and I understand the desire.
                          There is a British guy who pulls a bow over 100#.

                          On 8/12/06, blooney@... <blooney@...> wrote:

                          > Here are two links to bowyers you might consider: authentic, top of
                          > the line, beautiful work - talk to them about your needs.
                          >
                          > http://www.donadamsarchery.com/
                          >
                          > http://www.selfbow.com/hickyew/timbercruiser.html
                          >
                          > William of Mann

                        • Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 13, 2006
                            Konrad,

                            I have personal experience with both Jay St. Charles, and John Strunk.
                            Jay is by Seattle Washington, and John lives in Tillamook Oregon.

                            Both are contributing editors to the 3 book series of the "Bowyer's Bible).

                            Both gentlemen build excellent quality bows. I have taken a bow building
                            class from each of them.

                            They won't come cheap, but then with bows, you get what you pay for.

                            Jay's business is "Pacific Yew Longbows", his web site is:
                            "www.http://www.selfbow.com"
                            John can be found in the whitepages for Tillamook Oregon.

                            I myself will be building a 90lb longbow in the next 6 months.... for
                            very much the same reason you mention.

                            Both my bows are 60-62lb, and I also have been shooting that weight for
                            6 years now. With proper weight training, and shooting.... the 90lb'r
                            should be no problem.

                            Good luck Konrad

                            Godwin
                          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 20, 2006
                              The "Welsh flat bow" (from what I've heard,
                              > there are welsh examples of flat bows) were more durible, and
                              > considered to be the type of bow that one could possibly hand down to
                              > one's kids.

                              A self bow can be handed down to one's kids, but I would recomend that it be
                              labled and hung on the wall "This is the bow my dad shot". All wood bows
                              will brake!!! Third arrow, 200 arrows, 6000 arrows, handed to the son, one
                              arrow, 10 arrows, 100 arrows, at some time it will break.

                              James Cunningham
                              On my forth wood, bow broke the first three.
                            • WilliamTheArcher@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 22, 2006
                                Where has this site been all my life?
                                Wow.

                                (As an aside, anyone who doesn't know it, Howard Hill was the stunt "archer"
                                in Erroll Flynns "Robin Hood." All the extra's were "shot" by him. They wore
                                plywood "armor" under their costumes. Any "archery trick" in the movie is real.
                                And shot by Mr. Hill.)

                                In a message dated 8/11/06 5:46:50 AM, lewindepartone@... writes:

                                > I know that Howard Hill use to shoot a 100# bow every day. even late
                                > into his life. might want to try
                                > http://www.howardhihttp://wwwhttp://www.http
                                >
                                > "Any traditional longbow may be ordered in lengths from 60 to 70
                                > inches, in even numbered increments. Bamboo bows may be requested at
                                > any weight up to 200 lbs., and up to a 32" draw. Other woods will not
                                > be guaranteed over 90 lbs. and up to a 30" draw. When a bow is
                                > ordered in excess of 75lbs., there is an additional charge of $2 per
                                > lb. up to 100#, and $5/lb. over 100#."
                                >
                                > Lewin de Partone

                                William the Archer

                              • WilliamTheArcher@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 22, 2006
                                  In a message dated 8/11/06 10:29:30 PM, will.terada@... writes:

                                  > I'm just curious as to why you would want to pull such a heavy poundage. To
                                  > get up to such a weight will take plenty of exercise to condition your arm
                                  > and fingers to pull it. Just take it slow and careful because you can cause
                                  > yourself to never shoot again. If you are a target archery, the heavy
                                  > poundage isn't really necessary except for bragging rights that you can pull
                                  > such poundage. During college, the men's team average 55# for FITA shoots
                                  > and dropping to 40# during indoor shoots.

                                  I too am facinated by the fact that archers in the 100 Years War fought with
                                  100 pound bows.
                                  Love to pull one. Once.

                                  But 50 is my max for event shooting.

                                  William the Archer

                                • WilliamTheArcher@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 22, 2006
                                    In a message dated 8/12/06 4:52:59 AM, project203@... writes:

                                    > That being said, I would like to re-iterate my previous sentiment that
                                    > I don't feel that I should have to explain my reasoning for purchasing
                                    > an item of my choosing.

                                    Wait! This is an SCA list! You expect to get responses without advice and
                                    opinion! :)

                                    William the Archer