Re: advice in learning crossbow

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2006
      Welcome to an adventure that can eat all your spare time, money, and your
      very essence (bhaw-ha-ha).

      Seriously, if I tell you something of my own journey, it may help you. I
      was a moderately skilled recurve shooter, as I framed it, a fair country
      archer. I had injured a shoulder years ago and eventually started to have
      problems pulling my bow. My best friend had an old Powermaster crossbow
      which he gave me on the grounds that I practice with it and see what I could
      do with it. First things being first, we cut down some arrows and I started
      shooting. I was hooked! I am a pretty good shot with firearms as well as
      my archery, but something in my soul just stood up and yelled "AT LAST!"

      The next thing I did was refinish that old Powermaster and design a rear
      sight that would be SCA legal and help determine elevations for various
      distances. Another friend who works in a machine shop helped bend the metal
      and away I went again. I also had been experimenting with my arrows (I
      fletch my own) and had found what worked best for me in that bow. In short
      order, I was shooting well enough to be considered for the Archer Champions
      at Pennsic.

      Then came the next step, as Nigel mentioned. I purchased another crossbow,
      a used Barnett Wildcat II. I made the necessary adaptations to render it
      SCA legal in the Midrealm and started shooting it as my primary weapon. I
      continued to be on the Champions team when I was able to go to Pennsic, and
      somewhere in this time was inducted into the Greenwood Company. I kept
      experimenting with my arrows, too.

      At an unusually flush time, I bought a more period style crossbow and
      started shooting it and using it for demos and some events. Experimented
      with the bolts for it, too, and found the combination that worked best for
      me.

      Next up, I was handed a modified Barnett with an Excalibur trigger and a
      period looking (sort of) stock. That is my primary weapon, now. I also
      have half completed a period style "clapper lock" weapon for the demos,
      court appearances and the other times I wish to look fully period.

      I sure hope this helps you out. Feel free to contact me here or off list if
      there is anything I can do to help you.

      Forester Padraig MacRaighne