Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: bow length and draw weight

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 25 4:00 PM
      As a rule of thumb if you measure a strongly recuved bow when it is UNSTRUNG
      directly from one nock to the other that length is close to the correct
      length for the string. You still have to take into account how well the bow
      shoots with that length string.

      Is the face of the bow the back or belly? Since your bow has only recurve
      tips the length of the string should be 1-3 inches shorter than the bow.
      Short enough to give a good fistimal (brace height).

      Brace height is approx 6 to 10 inches depending on the bow and how it
      shoots. Longbows generally like the lower brace heights, strongly recurved
      target bow generally like the higher brace heights. You have to shoot the
      bow enough to find out what you and it likes and workes well with.

      James Cunningham