bow length and draw weight

  • shauna
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
      Hello,
      I am very new to archery and have a youth bow with no markings. Can
      someone tell me where I would find information on how to determine the
      draw weight of the bow and the length bowsting I would need?

      thanks,
      Ratanavati
    • i_griffen
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
        you may have to take it to your local archery shop and ask them to
        scale it. with out seeing the bow i will guess it will be 20 lbs at
        24". This is the best guess I can make. I have seen youth bows with
        draw weights as low as 9 lbs to 25 lbs. with the draw lengts 24" or
        less

        Iain G

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "shauna" <rarejul@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I am very new to archery and have a youth bow with no markings. Can
        > someone tell me where I would find information on how to determine
        the
        > draw weight of the bow and the length bowsting I would need?
        >
        > thanks,
        > Ratanavati

      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2006
          Tells us more about the bow. Is it strongly recurved or only at the tips?
          Is it fiber glass or wood? What is the unstrung lenght?

          James Cunningham
          > I am very new to archery and have a youth bow with no markings. Can
          > someone tell me where I would find information on how to determine the
          > draw weight of the bow and the length bowsting I would need?
          >
          > thanks,
          > Ratanavati
          >

          > --

        • shauna seese
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 4, 2006
            Tells us more about the bow.

            Is it strongly recurved or only at the tips?
            I would say mostly at the tips...

            Is it fiber glass or wood?
            both are fiberglass

            What is the unstrung lenght?
            if measuring from tip to tip down the curve one is 48in the other 49in
            this measurement I did with a seamstress tape so I should be right on.

            thanks,
            Ratanavati

          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 25, 2006
              Did you measure following the curve or strait line form tip to tip?

              James Cunningham

            • dmerrill@omnicityusa.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 25, 2006
                It has always been my understanding that the bow length is from string notch to
                string notch measured along the face of the bow without any dips or bumps for
                hand grips.

                Quoting "James W. Pratt, Jr." <cunning@...>:

                > Did you measure following the curve or strait line form tip to tip?
                >
                > James Cunningham
                > >
                > > What is the unstrung lenght?
                > > if measuring from tip to tip down the curve one is 48in the other
                > 49in
                > > this measurement I did with a seamstress tape so I should be right on.
                > >
                > > thanks,
                > > Ratanavati

              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 25, 2006
                  As a rule of thumb if you measure a strongly recuved bow when it is UNSTRUNG
                  directly from one nock to the other that length is close to the correct
                  length for the string. You still have to take into account how well the bow
                  shoots with that length string.

                  Is the face of the bow the back or belly? Since your bow has only recurve
                  tips the length of the string should be 1-3 inches shorter than the bow.
                  Short enough to give a good fistimal (brace height).

                  Brace height is approx 6 to 10 inches depending on the bow and how it
                  shoots. Longbows generally like the lower brace heights, strongly recurved
                  target bow generally like the higher brace heights. You have to shoot the
                  bow enough to find out what you and it likes and workes well with.

                  James Cunningham