Re: [SCA-Archery] German Brass Bullet Points

  • Annie McG
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
      Lord Caedmon Wilson wrote:
      > http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=10&s=43&p=47&i=GB11%2DX
      >
      > Has anyone tried the brass bullet points being sold at the above link
      > to Three Rivers Archery?
      >
      > My second question is for people who have bullet points for their
      > arrows. How have they worked for you? Do they suffer any more or
      > less bounces from the same targets being used by field point-tipped
      > arrows?

      Greetings Lord Caedmon,

      I haven't tried 3Rivers, but have used brass points for years and like
      them much better than field points. They just look very cool. No problem
      with bouncers, although I find the 125gr points too heavy for my 22lb
      bow. I now use 63gr parallel or 80gr screw-in points.

      Quicks sells a whole range of brass points
      http://www.quicksarchery.co.uk/superbasket/category.php?category=109
      including 1/4" which are great on children's arrows. Download the second
      half of the pdf catalog for the full range.

      YIS,

      Fine ingen ui Scolaighe
      Kingdom of Lochac
    • Jeffrey Webb
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
        Greetings,
        Yeah, with my style of shooting and the weights of bows that I shoot, I need arrow points that are 180 grains. A few years ago I happened upon a batch of 180 grain bullet points and used them on a couple of dozen arrows and I iked them. I didn't notice that I got better penetration with them, in fact these particular ones were slightly rounded at the tips so the almost acted like blunts. I shot thm the year I won East Kingdom Archery Champion and I remember that these arrows were blowing the heck out of the small targets made by Sir Kai (sorry about that Kai).
        I know that the English shooters in the BLBS like the light brass bullet points very much, but they don't shoot by the rule of making your arrows balance 10% FOC. I must say that their arrow flights are not as true and smoothe as we scruffy American "colonists" that shoot heavier arrows.
        I think that the brass tips are ideal for lighter weight target bows. They sure do look pretty.
        -Geoffrei