RE: [SCA-Archery] German Brass Bullet Points

  • Harry Bilings
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2006
      I have filed field points into a bullet point shape and they seem to
      penetrate batter (deeper).

      plachoya
      humble archer
      Ravens Fort Ansteorra

    • blkknighti@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2006
        I have. I prefer the bullet points over the regular field points. Due to
        their expense I pin the non- threaded ones into the shaft. I also have used the
        threaded versions and prefer them to the time and trouble of pinning them.
        I rarely experienced bounces before (I can't remember if ever), but for some
        reason they seem to penetrate better and are more easily removed from the
        target. I lose less too, pinning has alot to do with that but the theaded ones
        aren't threaded and stay on great. They look nice too.
        I like 'em.
        Richard
        In a message dated 7/1/06 9:20:53 PM, caedmon.wilson@... writes:

        > Has anyone tried the brass bullet points being sold at the above link
        > to Three Rivers Archery?
        >
        > My second question is for people who have bullet points for their
        > arrows.  How have they worked for you?  Do they suffer any more or
        > less bounces from the same targets being used by field point-tipped
        > arrows?

      • A B ZDARSKY
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
          I use the brass points on some of my crossbow bolts, they fly and penetrate just fine...and they look cool.
          Aleksei
          An Tir
          Has anyone tried the brass bullet points being sold at the above link
          to Three Rivers Archery?

          My second question is for people who have bullet points for their
          arrows. How have they worked for you? Do they suffer any more or
          less bounces from the same targets being used by field point-tipped
          arrows?

          --
          Lord Caedmon Wilson

          Oaken Region Youth Combat Marshal
          Oaken Region Thrown Weapon Champion

          Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum
          saxum immane mittam.

        • Frederick Fenters
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
            Caedmon,

            I have been using the Greman Brass points exclusively for my own arrows for
            over 3 years now. I use the screw-on ones and have had no problems
            whatsoever. It is very easy to replace a temporarily lost point and there
            is NO GLUE NEEDED.

            Padraig MacRaighne

          • Lord Caedmon Wilson
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
              http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=10&s=109&p=0&i=SS112

              Now, what about the stainless steel screw-on tips? Anyone used those?

              -Caedmon
            • blkknighti@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
                They only come in 100 gr. which is a little light for my arrow.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
                  On 7/2/06, blkknighti@... <blkknighti@...> wrote:
                  > They only come in 100 gr. which is a little light for my arrow.

                  Currently, I shoot 100gr tips on crossbow bolts. So, I am not worried
                  about the lighter weight.

                  I think I my mind is set. I am going to get a set of the screw-on
                  tips for my new set of bolts. I am also going with 2.5" feathers this
                  time around.

                  -C
                • Annie McG
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
                    Lord Caedmon Wilson wrote:
                    > http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=10&s=43&p=47&i=GB11%2DX
                    >
                    > Has anyone tried the brass bullet points being sold at the above link
                    > to Three Rivers Archery?
                    >
                    > My second question is for people who have bullet points for their
                    > arrows. How have they worked for you? Do they suffer any more or
                    > less bounces from the same targets being used by field point-tipped
                    > arrows?

                    Greetings Lord Caedmon,

                    I haven't tried 3Rivers, but have used brass points for years and like
                    them much better than field points. They just look very cool. No problem
                    with bouncers, although I find the 125gr points too heavy for my 22lb
                    bow. I now use 63gr parallel or 80gr screw-in points.

                    Quicks sells a whole range of brass points
                    http://www.quicksarchery.co.uk/superbasket/category.php?category=109
                    including 1/4" which are great on children's arrows. Download the second
                    half of the pdf catalog for the full range.

                    YIS,

                    Fine ingen ui Scolaighe
                    Kingdom of Lochac
                  • Jeffrey Webb
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2, 2006
                      Greetings,
                      Yeah, with my style of shooting and the weights of bows that I shoot, I need arrow points that are 180 grains. A few years ago I happened upon a batch of 180 grain bullet points and used them on a couple of dozen arrows and I iked them. I didn't notice that I got better penetration with them, in fact these particular ones were slightly rounded at the tips so the almost acted like blunts. I shot thm the year I won East Kingdom Archery Champion and I remember that these arrows were blowing the heck out of the small targets made by Sir Kai (sorry about that Kai).
                      I know that the English shooters in the BLBS like the light brass bullet points very much, but they don't shoot by the rule of making your arrows balance 10% FOC. I must say that their arrow flights are not as true and smoothe as we scruffy American "colonists" that shoot heavier arrows.
                      I think that the brass tips are ideal for lighter weight target bows. They sure do look pretty.
                      -Geoffrei