German Brass Bullet Points

  • Lord Caedmon Wilson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1 6:14 PM
      http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=10&s=43&p=47&i=GB11%2DX

      Has anyone tried the brass bullet points being sold at the above link
      to Three Rivers Archery?

      My second question is for people who have bullet points for their
      arrows. How have they worked for you? Do they suffer any more or
      less bounces from the same targets being used by field point-tipped
      arrows?

      --
      Lord Caedmon Wilson

      Oaken Region Youth Combat Marshal
      Oaken Region Thrown Weapon Champion

      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum
      saxum immane mittam.
    • Harry Bilings
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1 6:33 PM
        I have filed field points into a bullet point shape and they seem to
        penetrate batter (deeper).

        plachoya
        humble archer
        Ravens Fort Ansteorra

      • blkknighti@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1 9:49 PM
          I have. I prefer the bullet points over the regular field points. Due to
          their expense I pin the non- threaded ones into the shaft. I also have used the
          threaded versions and prefer them to the time and trouble of pinning them.
          I rarely experienced bounces before (I can't remember if ever), but for some
          reason they seem to penetrate better and are more easily removed from the
          target. I lose less too, pinning has alot to do with that but the theaded ones
          aren't threaded and stay on great. They look nice too.
          I like 'em.
          Richard
          In a message dated 7/1/06 9:20:53 PM, caedmon.wilson@... writes:

          > Has anyone tried the brass bullet points being sold at the above link
          > to Three Rivers Archery?
          >
          > My second question is for people who have bullet points for their
          > arrows.  How have they worked for you?  Do they suffer any more or
          > less bounces from the same targets being used by field point-tipped
          > arrows?

        • A B ZDARSKY
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2 12:46 AM
            I use the brass points on some of my crossbow bolts, they fly and penetrate just fine...and they look cool.
            Aleksei
            An Tir

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2 12:08 PM
              Caedmon,

              I have been using the Greman Brass points exclusively for my own arrows for
              over 3 years now. I use the screw-on ones and have had no problems
              whatsoever. It is very easy to replace a temporarily lost point and there
              is NO GLUE NEEDED.

              Padraig MacRaighne

            • Lord Caedmon Wilson
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2 1:53 PM
                http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=10&s=109&p=0&i=SS112

                Now, what about the stainless steel screw-on tips? Anyone used those?

                -Caedmon
              • blkknighti@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2 2:52 PM
                  They only come in 100 gr. which is a little light for my arrow.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2 3:07 PM
                    On 7/2/06, blkknighti@... <blkknighti@...> wrote:
                    > They only come in 100 gr. which is a little light for my arrow.

                    Currently, I shoot 100gr tips on crossbow bolts. So, I am not worried
                    about the lighter weight.

                    I think I my mind is set. I am going to get a set of the screw-on
                    tips for my new set of bolts. I am also going with 2.5" feathers this
                    time around.

                    -C
                  • Annie McG
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2 4:11 PM
                      Lord Caedmon Wilson wrote:
                      > http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=10&s=43&p=47&i=GB11%2DX
                      >
                      > Has anyone tried the brass bullet points being sold at the above link
                      > to Three Rivers Archery?
                      >
                      > My second question is for people who have bullet points for their
                      > arrows. How have they worked for you? Do they suffer any more or
                      > less bounces from the same targets being used by field point-tipped
                      > arrows?

                      Greetings Lord Caedmon,

                      I haven't tried 3Rivers, but have used brass points for years and like
                      them much better than field points. They just look very cool. No problem
                      with bouncers, although I find the 125gr points too heavy for my 22lb
                      bow. I now use 63gr parallel or 80gr screw-in points.

                      Quicks sells a whole range of brass points
                      http://www.quicksarchery.co.uk/superbasket/category.php?category=109
                      including 1/4" which are great on children's arrows. Download the second
                      half of the pdf catalog for the full range.

                      YIS,

                      Fine ingen ui Scolaighe
                      Kingdom of Lochac
                    • Jeffrey Webb
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 2 5:10 PM
                        Greetings,
                        Yeah, with my style of shooting and the weights of bows that I shoot, I need arrow points that are 180 grains. A few years ago I happened upon a batch of 180 grain bullet points and used them on a couple of dozen arrows and I iked them. I didn't notice that I got better penetration with them, in fact these particular ones were slightly rounded at the tips so the almost acted like blunts. I shot thm the year I won East Kingdom Archery Champion and I remember that these arrows were blowing the heck out of the small targets made by Sir Kai (sorry about that Kai).
                        I know that the English shooters in the BLBS like the light brass bullet points very much, but they don't shoot by the rule of making your arrows balance 10% FOC. I must say that their arrow flights are not as true and smoothe as we scruffy American "colonists" that shoot heavier arrows.
                        I think that the brass tips are ideal for lighter weight target bows. They sure do look pretty.
                        -Geoffrei