Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: New Weapon Class

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 29, 2006
      Caedmon,

      I have gotten quite a bit of useful help from the NSBA. They are the ones
      who put me in contact with a couple blowgun groups in Europe.

      What is the largest caliber and longest blowgun you have shot? I started
      with a modern 40 caliber, went to a 62 by six foot long and then to a 62 by
      seven foot long. I am working on a 68 by eight foot long and a 75 by eight
      boot long blowgun. A small increase in the bore diameter leads to a large
      increase in the energy imparted to the projectile. This is obvious since
      the area of the bore increases with the square of the diameter. I need
      heavier projectiles since I am trying to get decent accuracy at 40
      yards. My guess is the longer bores and slightly lighter darts will do the
      job. Right now my blowgun royal round scores are about equal to my hand
      bow scores. In other words, not very good. I do great at 20 yards, okay
      at 30, but have only recently been able to hit at 40. I do have great
      speed rounds! The last four I shot I got off 9 darts on three ends and 10
      darts on one. It will be interesting to see if I pass out shooting a speed
      round with a 75 caliber by eight foot long weapon. The last time I shot a
      speed round with my 62 caliber by seven foot weapon I found I couldn't add
      the scores. I couldn't figure out what was wrong at first until I realized
      I was dizzy from hyper-ventilating!

      Jim (Gladius)