Re: Rudder bows

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2006
      It looks like my last post on this didn't get through so I will send another.

      Last year I purchased a U-finish takedown longbow in bamboo and IPE. This is not an
      english longbow but a hybrid between an American Flatbow and an English Longbow. It
      has a rounded belly but is fairly shallow. It narrows in the handle and flares out like an
      AFB.

      It shot great at first but then it developed some problems. Since it was U-finish, I had to
      fix it myself but I did contact the bowyer about the recommended fix. However, my first
      diagnose did not catch the real problem. After a couple of attempts to fix it, I realized that
      the likely culprit was that the epoxy for backing hadn't cured fully when they attached the
      takedown sleeves. Only the lower limb was affected but the entire lower limb delaminated
      except where I had wrapped it. I got it too a shootable condition but the lower limb had
      taken a massive set and performance is now sluggish. So my initial enthusiasm is a little
      tepid now.

      I haven't followed up with the bowyer since the initial contact and just got busy making
      myself a bow from some staves I received at Christmas. I should follow up as I do think
      this was a manufacturing problem. It may not be a problem if you are not going for the
      takedown option.

      James