Re: Archery steward designation [was RE: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 2288]

  • Hobbe
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2006
      A quick check of Stefan's Florilegium finds these entries. I guess
      the key words would be "not standardized until 1844".
      -Hobbe

      --------------------------------
      "The York Round and the five color target rings we use for our
      competitions were not standardized until 1844 by the Prince Regent.
      Although there is evidence that colored concentric rings were placed
      on butts during the period we strive to re-live, most butts (which
      were banks of earth grassed over) had a white disc as a target.
      Beyond 140 yards the targets were called 'clouts'; canvas covered,
      straw stuffed discs of some 18" in diameter. Technically, the York
      Round and the standardized five color target rings are out of period."
      -Giovanni Dell'Arco
      -Baronial Chief Archer of Madrone
      --------------------------------
      "The 5-color circular face (or something close to it) is indeed
      period. The Luttrel Psalter (~ 1300) clearly shows target archers
      shooting at a circular face about 4' diameter, with concentric rings
      and a clear bullseye. But shooting at targets like this was only one
      of many ways medieval archers competed. And when they did compete,
      you can believe they shot at ranges at lot greater than 40 yards,
      most of the time."
      -Douglas Zimmerman
      --------------------------------

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, jotl@... wrote:
      > For my part, I would like to see the 19thC FITA-style target
      minimized as
      > much as possible in SCA activities. IMO, it furthers the
      impression that
      > the way we do target archery is not a period activity.
      >
      > James
      > jotl@...

    • Yvonne Miller
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2006
        Ah, the warped sense of humor :)

        > >On a related note, I once attended an event where the autocrat/event
        >steward
        > >had a lovely tabard to identify her. It read "AUTOCRAT" at the upper
        >front
        > >left and had a 5 color round target appliqu�d on front and back all on a
        > >light blue background.

        Having been an autocrat for a few events, this made me laugh. There were
        many times when I thought - "Yea, I'm the autocrat! Just shoot me and get
        it over with!"