Archery steward designation [was RE: [SCA-Archery] Digest Number 2288]

  • jotl@ridgecrest.ca.us
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5 12:24 PM
      At 7:29 PM 6/2/06 -0400, Frederick Fenters wrote:

      >On a related note, I once attended an event where the autocrat/event steward
      >had a lovely tabard to identify her. It read "AUTOCRAT" at the upper front
      >left and had a 5 color round target appliquéd on front and back all on a
      >light blue background.

      For my part, I would like to see the 19thC FITA-style target minimized as
      much as possible in SCA activities. IMO, it furthers the impression that
      the way we do target archery is not a period activity.

      James
      jotl@...
    • Hobbe
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5 1:28 PM
        A quick check of Stefan's Florilegium finds these entries. I guess
        the key words would be "not standardized until 1844".
        -Hobbe

        --------------------------------
        "The York Round and the five color target rings we use for our
        competitions were not standardized until 1844 by the Prince Regent.
        Although there is evidence that colored concentric rings were placed
        on butts during the period we strive to re-live, most butts (which
        were banks of earth grassed over) had a white disc as a target.
        Beyond 140 yards the targets were called 'clouts'; canvas covered,
        straw stuffed discs of some 18" in diameter. Technically, the York
        Round and the standardized five color target rings are out of period."
        -Giovanni Dell'Arco
        -Baronial Chief Archer of Madrone
        --------------------------------
        "The 5-color circular face (or something close to it) is indeed
        period. The Luttrel Psalter (~ 1300) clearly shows target archers
        shooting at a circular face about 4' diameter, with concentric rings
        and a clear bullseye. But shooting at targets like this was only one
        of many ways medieval archers competed. And when they did compete,
        you can believe they shot at ranges at lot greater than 40 yards,
        most of the time."
        -Douglas Zimmerman
        --------------------------------

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, jotl@... wrote:
        > For my part, I would like to see the 19thC FITA-style target
        minimized as
        > much as possible in SCA activities. IMO, it furthers the
        impression that
        > the way we do target archery is not a period activity.
        >
        > James
        > jotl@...

      • Yvonne Miller
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6 5:31 AM
          Ah, the warped sense of humor :)

          > >On a related note, I once attended an event where the autocrat/event
          >steward
          > >had a lovely tabard to identify her. It read "AUTOCRAT" at the upper
          >front
          > >left and had a 5 color round target appliqu�d on front and back all on a
          > >light blue background.

          Having been an autocrat for a few events, this made me laugh. There were
          many times when I thought - "Yea, I'm the autocrat! Just shoot me and get
          it over with!"