Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Archery Marshals

  • Brad Boda d'Aylward
    Message 1 of 14 , May 30, 2006
      This would be an unregistered device but one could make the regular marshal
      tabbard and use crossed arrows instead of the crossed swords. I've seen this
      tabbard on the battle field to designate a marshal who is familiar with the
      Combat Archery conventions for our heavy fighting. They could be used as
      easily on the archery range for any one who felt the need at a larger event
      to designate the MIC or line marshal.

      Brad

      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Archery Marshals

      > Carolus von Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Tabards??!
      >> We don' need no stinkin' tabards. <apologies to Mel Brooks GDR>
      >> Seriously, we don't use tabards, baldrics, or anything else for our
      >> range marshals.
      >> Carolus
      >

      >Actually I think tabords or baldrics would be a great thing for the
      >Marshals to wear. It would add an extra flair to our events, and would
      >give the marshals a little bit of recognition. (there have been event
      >when I did not know who was in charge of the range)
      > PS. If you keep to an easy pattern I volenteer to sew some of them.
      >In my copious amounts of spare time.
      >
      >Antoinette

    • Lord Antony
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2006
        The East has nothing official, however, I plan on stealing the blue baldric
        idea used at Pennsic as soon as I can find someone willing to sew a few for
        me... It is obvious yet not to garish and is very easy to don and remove.

        Antony

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2006
          I can not speak for the rest of An Tir, but here in the Barony of
          Adiantum, I was issued a lovely tabard as the Baronial Archer
          (Baronial Archery Officer) of black fabric with appliqued crossed gold
          arrows front and back and our Baronial device on both open 3/4 length
          sleeves. I wear this to court as well as at tournaments when I am
          marshaling. It does make it quite easy to identify who is in charge of
          the range, and it does not interfere at all with law #1 .... I just
          change the feather in my Capitaino hat to a beautifully matched gold
          and don my black skirt or britches!

          --
          In Service,

          Lady Katherine Killigrew
          Adiantum Baronial Archer
          Archery Champion Adiantum and Terra Pomaria
          Vigilant Bear
        • loreleiElkins@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2006
            In a message dated 6/1/2006 7:22:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            mermaidx3@... writes:

            (there have been event
            when I did not know who was in charge of the range)
            Antoinette

            Marshal in Training here....just read in the Atlantian TAM manual, The
            Target Archery Marshal shall be "easily identifiable" on the range. Guess tabards
            would do it. Of course wearing nothing at all but a hat would do it too!
            The Marshal I apprentice under wears a BIG feather in his hat....but we think
            that for entirely a different reason.

            Lorelei

          • Karl W. Evoy
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2006
              Many Pennsic's ago, the Eastern marshalls were sporting a baldric with a
              blue tyger's foreleg (arm?) with a gold pheon centered on the paw. I thought
              that was a very cool, and period, badge. It was not seen after that Pennsic,
              and I never found out why. Maybe they should register the badge for their
              marshallet.
              Ancel

              > The East has nothing official, however, I plan on stealing the blue
              baldric
              > idea used at Pennsic as soon as I can find someone willing to sew a few
              for
              > me... It is obvious yet not to garish and is very easy to don and remove.
              >
              > Antony

            • Siegfried
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 5, 2006
                I believe you are mistaking that as a marshals baldric, when in fact
                is the Baldric of the Eastern Champions Team. Which yes, happens to
                have a fair number of marshals on it.

                Siegfried

                On 6/2/06, Karl W. Evoy <kweancel@...> wrote:
                > Many Pennsic's ago, the Eastern marshalls were sporting a baldric with a
                > blue tyger's foreleg (arm?) with a gold pheon centered on the paw. I thought
                > that was a very cool, and period, badge. It was not seen after that Pennsic,
                > and I never found out why. Maybe they should register the badge for their
                > marshallet.
                > Ancel

              • Karl W. Evoy
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 7, 2006
                  Perehaps, though I don't recall seeing the Champion's team wearing again
                  either. And it was being worn at the range for the whole war.
                  Ancel

                  > I believe you are mistaking that as a marshals baldric, when in fact
                  > is the Baldric of the Eastern Champions Team. Which yes, happens to
                  > have a fair number of marshals on it.
                  >
                  > Siegfried
                  >

                  > On 6/2/06, Karl W. Evoy <kweancel@...> wrote:
                  > > Many Pennsic's ago, the Eastern marshalls were sporting a baldric
                  with a
                  > > blue tyger's foreleg (arm?) with a gold pheon centered on the paw. I
                  thought
                  > > that was a very cool, and period, badge. It was not seen after that
                  Pennsic,
                  > > and I never found out why. Maybe they should register the badge for
                  their
                  > > marshallet.
                  > > Ancel

                • THL Cain Saethydd
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 14, 2006
                    The one presented to me when I won our first 'King's Champion of
                    Archery' tournament scares me a bit.

                    It has a target on the front and back, with a big 'X' across the
                    target in the back.

                    I have worn it to great affect on the hardsuit field, however. hmmmm,
                    I seem to recall distracting Sir Jon several years ago with it. We
                    were out of ammo (gleaning was allowed), and the opponents were not
                    firing (saving the ammo untill the end of the scenario). I was
                    strutting back and forth... the temptation was just too much. Soon, we
                    had the ammo!

                    Sadly, I died. Sir Jon was dismayed as well. One young lady from
                    Atenveldt was highly embaressed. She had accidentaly shot me in the
                    face while unloading her crossbow..... Sir Jon never shot me that war,
                    nor I him. But we tried, OH how we Tried!

                    Cain

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Henderson" <cucymry@...> wrote:

                    > Greetings
                    > Out of curoisity, what do the marshals in your kingdoms use for
                    tabrds or do they. I know the Middle has a special registered device
                    but what about others?
                    > Gwyn

                  • THL Cain Saethydd
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 14, 2006
                      In Atenveldt, a Blue Baldric equals a Man-at-Arms to a Master-of-Arms
                      or his Squire. It also is used in the Adrian Empire to designate a
                      Knight, who may where it as a belt or baldric. Barony Atenveldt shares
                      the park with 2 other organizations on the same night. Many of the
                      others also play with the SCA.

                      Offhand, Baron Master Blackarrow happens to be King of Adria at the
                      moment.

                      Cain