Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Archery Marshals

  • Brad Boda d'Aylward
    Message 1 of 14 , May 30 8:49 PM
      This would be an unregistered device but one could make the regular marshal
      tabbard and use crossed arrows instead of the crossed swords. I've seen this
      tabbard on the battle field to designate a marshal who is familiar with the
      Combat Archery conventions for our heavy fighting. They could be used as
      easily on the archery range for any one who felt the need at a larger event
      to designate the MIC or line marshal.

      Brad

      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Archery Marshals

      > Carolus von Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Tabards??!
      >> We don' need no stinkin' tabards. <apologies to Mel Brooks GDR>
      >> Seriously, we don't use tabards, baldrics, or anything else for our
      >> range marshals.
      >> Carolus
      >

      >Actually I think tabords or baldrics would be a great thing for the
      >Marshals to wear. It would add an extra flair to our events, and would
      >give the marshals a little bit of recognition. (there have been event
      >when I did not know who was in charge of the range)
      > PS. If you keep to an easy pattern I volenteer to sew some of them.
      >In my copious amounts of spare time.
      >
      >Antoinette

    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2006

        At 03:59 AM 6/1/2006, you wrote:

        >Greetings
        >Out of curoisity, what do the marshals in your kingdoms use for
        >tabrds or do they. I know the Middle has a special registered device
        >but what about others?
        >Gwyn

      • Karen Nelson
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2006
          Carolus von Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...> wrote:

          > Tabards??!
          > We don' need no stinkin' tabards. <apologies to Mel Brooks GDR>
          > Seriously, we don't use tabards, baldrics, or anything else for our
          > range marshals.
          > Carolus

          Actually I think tabords or baldrics would be a great thing for the
          Marshals to wear. It would add an extra flair to our events, and would
          give the marshals a little bit of recognition. (there have been event
          when I did not know who was in charge of the range)
          PS. If you keep to an easy pattern I volenteer to sew some of them.
          In my copious amounts of spare time.

          Antoinette
        • Lord Antony
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2006
            The East has nothing official, however, I plan on stealing the blue baldric
            idea used at Pennsic as soon as I can find someone willing to sew a few for
            me... It is obvious yet not to garish and is very easy to don and remove.

            Antony

            > Out of curoisity, what do the marshals in your kingdoms use for tabrds or
            do they. I know the Middle has a special registered device but what about
            others?
            > Gwyn

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Lady Katherine Killigrew
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 2006
              I can not speak for the rest of An Tir, but here in the Barony of
              Adiantum, I was issued a lovely tabard as the Baronial Archer
              (Baronial Archery Officer) of black fabric with appliqued crossed gold
              arrows front and back and our Baronial device on both open 3/4 length
              sleeves. I wear this to court as well as at tournaments when I am
              marshaling. It does make it quite easy to identify who is in charge of
              the range, and it does not interfere at all with law #1 .... I just
              change the feather in my Capitaino hat to a beautifully matched gold
              and don my black skirt or britches!

              --
              In Service,

              Lady Katherine Killigrew
              Adiantum Baronial Archer
              Archery Champion Adiantum and Terra Pomaria
              Vigilant Bear
            • loreleiElkins@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2006
                In a message dated 6/1/2006 7:22:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                mermaidx3@... writes:

                (there have been event
                when I did not know who was in charge of the range)
                Antoinette

                Marshal in Training here....just read in the Atlantian TAM manual, The
                Target Archery Marshal shall be "easily identifiable" on the range. Guess tabards
                would do it. Of course wearing nothing at all but a hat would do it too!
                The Marshal I apprentice under wears a BIG feather in his hat....but we think
                that for entirely a different reason.

                Lorelei

              • Karl W. Evoy
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 2, 2006
                  Many Pennsic's ago, the Eastern marshalls were sporting a baldric with a
                  blue tyger's foreleg (arm?) with a gold pheon centered on the paw. I thought
                  that was a very cool, and period, badge. It was not seen after that Pennsic,
                  and I never found out why. Maybe they should register the badge for their
                  marshallet.
                  Ancel

                  > The East has nothing official, however, I plan on stealing the blue
                  baldric
                  > idea used at Pennsic as soon as I can find someone willing to sew a few
                  for
                  > me... It is obvious yet not to garish and is very easy to don and remove.
                  >
                  > Antony

                • Siegfried
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 5, 2006
                    I believe you are mistaking that as a marshals baldric, when in fact
                    is the Baldric of the Eastern Champions Team. Which yes, happens to
                    have a fair number of marshals on it.

                    Siegfried

                    On 6/2/06, Karl W. Evoy <kweancel@...> wrote:
                    > Many Pennsic's ago, the Eastern marshalls were sporting a baldric with a
                    > blue tyger's foreleg (arm?) with a gold pheon centered on the paw. I thought
                    > that was a very cool, and period, badge. It was not seen after that Pennsic,
                    > and I never found out why. Maybe they should register the badge for their
                    > marshallet.
                    > Ancel

                  • Karl W. Evoy
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 7, 2006
                      Perehaps, though I don't recall seeing the Champion's team wearing again
                      either. And it was being worn at the range for the whole war.
                      Ancel

                      > I believe you are mistaking that as a marshals baldric, when in fact
                      > is the Baldric of the Eastern Champions Team. Which yes, happens to
                      > have a fair number of marshals on it.
                      >
                      > Siegfried
                      >

                      > On 6/2/06, Karl W. Evoy <kweancel@...> wrote:
                      > > Many Pennsic's ago, the Eastern marshalls were sporting a baldric
                      with a
                      > > blue tyger's foreleg (arm?) with a gold pheon centered on the paw. I
                      thought
                      > > that was a very cool, and period, badge. It was not seen after that
                      Pennsic,
                      > > and I never found out why. Maybe they should register the badge for
                      their
                      > > marshallet.
                      > > Ancel

                    • THL Cain Saethydd
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 14, 2006
                        The one presented to me when I won our first 'King's Champion of
                        Archery' tournament scares me a bit.

                        It has a target on the front and back, with a big 'X' across the
                        target in the back.

                        I have worn it to great affect on the hardsuit field, however. hmmmm,
                        I seem to recall distracting Sir Jon several years ago with it. We
                        were out of ammo (gleaning was allowed), and the opponents were not
                        firing (saving the ammo untill the end of the scenario). I was
                        strutting back and forth... the temptation was just too much. Soon, we
                        had the ammo!

                        Sadly, I died. Sir Jon was dismayed as well. One young lady from
                        Atenveldt was highly embaressed. She had accidentaly shot me in the
                        face while unloading her crossbow..... Sir Jon never shot me that war,
                        nor I him. But we tried, OH how we Tried!

                        Cain

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Henderson" <cucymry@...> wrote:

                        > Greetings
                        > Out of curoisity, what do the marshals in your kingdoms use for
                        tabrds or do they. I know the Middle has a special registered device
                        but what about others?
                        > Gwyn

                      • THL Cain Saethydd
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 14, 2006
                          In Atenveldt, a Blue Baldric equals a Man-at-Arms to a Master-of-Arms
                          or his Squire. It also is used in the Adrian Empire to designate a
                          Knight, who may where it as a belt or baldric. Barony Atenveldt shares
                          the park with 2 other organizations on the same night. Many of the
                          others also play with the SCA.

                          Offhand, Baron Master Blackarrow happens to be King of Adria at the
                          moment.

                          Cain