Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Archery Marshals

  • Brad Boda d'Aylward
    Message 1 of 14 , May 30, 2006
      This would be an unregistered device but one could make the regular marshal
      tabbard and use crossed arrows instead of the crossed swords. I've seen this
      tabbard on the battle field to designate a marshal who is familiar with the
      Combat Archery conventions for our heavy fighting. They could be used as
      easily on the archery range for any one who felt the need at a larger event
      to designate the MIC or line marshal.

      Brad

      Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re: Archery Marshals

      > Carolus von Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Tabards??!
      >> We don' need no stinkin' tabards. <apologies to Mel Brooks GDR>
      >> Seriously, we don't use tabards, baldrics, or anything else for our
      >> range marshals.
      >> Carolus
      >

      >Actually I think tabords or baldrics would be a great thing for the
      >Marshals to wear. It would add an extra flair to our events, and would
      >give the marshals a little bit of recognition. (there have been event
      >when I did not know who was in charge of the range)
      > PS. If you keep to an easy pattern I volenteer to sew some of them.
      >In my copious amounts of spare time.
      >
      >Antoinette

    • Gary Henderson
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2006
        Greetings
        Out of curoisity, what do the marshals in your kingdoms use for tabrds or do they. I know the Middle has a special registered device but what about others?
        Gwyn

      • Siegfried
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2006
          Officially in Atlantia, archery marshals wear Crossed Swords. As that
          is the approved device for the Entire Marshallate ... not just for
          Heavy folks.

          In practice, we wear nothing.

          Given that 1/2 - 2/3 of the archers on the range are marshals at any
          given time ... it would be an overkill to have us all wearing stuff.

          Some marshals, due to an event that handed them out, took to wearing
          small badges (1.5" diameter) of the crossed swords around their neck
          or on their belt. As a small sign that they were a marshal, without
          a huge tabard.

          After all, don't forget the top three rules of archery:

          #1) Look Good
          #2) Don't get attached to your ammo
          #3) Have Fun

          The tabards get in the way of #1 *grin*

          Siegfried

          On 6/1/06, Gary Henderson <cucymry@...> wrote:
          > Greetings
          > Out of curoisity, what do the marshals in your kingdoms use for tabrds or do they. I know the Middle has a special registered device but what about others?
          > Gwyn

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Cian of Storvik
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2006
            Only Siegfried can get away with wearing nothing. The rest of us wear
            clothes at practice.
            I made a bracer with the Or crossed swords tooled on it, but rarely
            wear it...It clashes with the rest of my garb. (read Siegfried's rule
            #1)
            -Cian

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Siegfried <SiegfriedFaust@...>
            > In practice, we wear nothing.

          • Carolus von Eulenhorst
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 2006

              At 03:59 AM 6/1/2006, you wrote:

              >Greetings
              >Out of curoisity, what do the marshals in your kingdoms use for
              >tabrds or do they. I know the Middle has a special registered device
              >but what about others?
              >Gwyn

            • Karen Nelson
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1, 2006
                Carolus von Eulenhorst <eulenhorst@...> wrote:

                > Tabards??!
                > We don' need no stinkin' tabards. <apologies to Mel Brooks GDR>
                > Seriously, we don't use tabards, baldrics, or anything else for our
                > range marshals.
                > Carolus

                Actually I think tabords or baldrics would be a great thing for the
                Marshals to wear. It would add an extra flair to our events, and would
                give the marshals a little bit of recognition. (there have been event
                when I did not know who was in charge of the range)
                PS. If you keep to an easy pattern I volenteer to sew some of them.
                In my copious amounts of spare time.

                Antoinette
              • Lord Antony
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 1, 2006
                  The East has nothing official, however, I plan on stealing the blue baldric
                  idea used at Pennsic as soon as I can find someone willing to sew a few for
                  me... It is obvious yet not to garish and is very easy to don and remove.

                  Antony

                  > Out of curoisity, what do the marshals in your kingdoms use for tabrds or
                  do they. I know the Middle has a special registered device but what about
                  others?
                  > Gwyn

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Lady Katherine Killigrew
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 1, 2006
                    I can not speak for the rest of An Tir, but here in the Barony of
                    Adiantum, I was issued a lovely tabard as the Baronial Archer
                    (Baronial Archery Officer) of black fabric with appliqued crossed gold
                    arrows front and back and our Baronial device on both open 3/4 length
                    sleeves. I wear this to court as well as at tournaments when I am
                    marshaling. It does make it quite easy to identify who is in charge of
                    the range, and it does not interfere at all with law #1 .... I just
                    change the feather in my Capitaino hat to a beautifully matched gold
                    and don my black skirt or britches!

                    --
                    In Service,

                    Lady Katherine Killigrew
                    Adiantum Baronial Archer
                    Archery Champion Adiantum and Terra Pomaria
                    Vigilant Bear
                  • loreleiElkins@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2, 2006
                      In a message dated 6/1/2006 7:22:54 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      mermaidx3@... writes:

                      (there have been event
                      when I did not know who was in charge of the range)
                      Antoinette

                      Marshal in Training here....just read in the Atlantian TAM manual, The
                      Target Archery Marshal shall be "easily identifiable" on the range. Guess tabards
                      would do it. Of course wearing nothing at all but a hat would do it too!
                      The Marshal I apprentice under wears a BIG feather in his hat....but we think
                      that for entirely a different reason.

                      Lorelei

                    • Karl W. Evoy
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 2, 2006
                        Many Pennsic's ago, the Eastern marshalls were sporting a baldric with a
                        blue tyger's foreleg (arm?) with a gold pheon centered on the paw. I thought
                        that was a very cool, and period, badge. It was not seen after that Pennsic,
                        and I never found out why. Maybe they should register the badge for their
                        marshallet.
                        Ancel

                        > The East has nothing official, however, I plan on stealing the blue
                        baldric
                        > idea used at Pennsic as soon as I can find someone willing to sew a few
                        for
                        > me... It is obvious yet not to garish and is very easy to don and remove.
                        >
                        > Antony

                      • Siegfried
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 5, 2006
                          I believe you are mistaking that as a marshals baldric, when in fact
                          is the Baldric of the Eastern Champions Team. Which yes, happens to
                          have a fair number of marshals on it.

                          Siegfried

                          On 6/2/06, Karl W. Evoy <kweancel@...> wrote:
                          > Many Pennsic's ago, the Eastern marshalls were sporting a baldric with a
                          > blue tyger's foreleg (arm?) with a gold pheon centered on the paw. I thought
                          > that was a very cool, and period, badge. It was not seen after that Pennsic,
                          > and I never found out why. Maybe they should register the badge for their
                          > marshallet.
                          > Ancel

                        • Karl W. Evoy
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 7, 2006
                            Perehaps, though I don't recall seeing the Champion's team wearing again
                            either. And it was being worn at the range for the whole war.
                            Ancel

                            > I believe you are mistaking that as a marshals baldric, when in fact
                            > is the Baldric of the Eastern Champions Team. Which yes, happens to
                            > have a fair number of marshals on it.
                            >
                            > Siegfried
                            >

                            > On 6/2/06, Karl W. Evoy <kweancel@...> wrote:
                            > > Many Pennsic's ago, the Eastern marshalls were sporting a baldric
                            with a
                            > > blue tyger's foreleg (arm?) with a gold pheon centered on the paw. I
                            thought
                            > > that was a very cool, and period, badge. It was not seen after that
                            Pennsic,
                            > > and I never found out why. Maybe they should register the badge for
                            their
                            > > marshallet.
                            > > Ancel

                          • THL Cain Saethydd
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 14, 2006
                              The one presented to me when I won our first 'King's Champion of
                              Archery' tournament scares me a bit.

                              It has a target on the front and back, with a big 'X' across the
                              target in the back.

                              I have worn it to great affect on the hardsuit field, however. hmmmm,
                              I seem to recall distracting Sir Jon several years ago with it. We
                              were out of ammo (gleaning was allowed), and the opponents were not
                              firing (saving the ammo untill the end of the scenario). I was
                              strutting back and forth... the temptation was just too much. Soon, we
                              had the ammo!

                              Sadly, I died. Sir Jon was dismayed as well. One young lady from
                              Atenveldt was highly embaressed. She had accidentaly shot me in the
                              face while unloading her crossbow..... Sir Jon never shot me that war,
                              nor I him. But we tried, OH how we Tried!

                              Cain

                              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Henderson" <cucymry@...> wrote:

                              > Greetings
                              > Out of curoisity, what do the marshals in your kingdoms use for
                              tabrds or do they. I know the Middle has a special registered device
                              but what about others?
                              > Gwyn

                            • THL Cain Saethydd
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 14, 2006
                                In Atenveldt, a Blue Baldric equals a Man-at-Arms to a Master-of-Arms
                                or his Squire. It also is used in the Adrian Empire to designate a
                                Knight, who may where it as a belt or baldric. Barony Atenveldt shares
                                the park with 2 other organizations on the same night. Many of the
                                others also play with the SCA.

                                Offhand, Baron Master Blackarrow happens to be King of Adria at the
                                moment.

                                Cain