Re: [SCA-Archery] Older Wooden Bows

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2006
      Fritz,

      If you have been stringing old wood bows and not breaking them, you are
      already doing it right. If an old bow breaks while being drawn, it was
      worn out or the glue holding the grip let loose and the archer didn't hear
      or feel it and let off. If the bow breaks while being strung or unstrung,
      this is strictly due to someone putting too much stress on one of the
      limbs. I don't use a stringer, but am very careful to press my knee
      against the grip and flex both limbs evenly while stringing. I have seen
      people simply pull the top limb down and snap it off. You can get away
      with this with a fiberglass starter bow, but not with a good wood bow. If
      in doubt, use a stringer. The moral of the story is that stringing
      shouldn't stress the limbs as much as drawing and shooting if done correctly.

      Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)