Re: Fritz and Practice

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2006
      Fritz, I am sorry, but the tales I have heard were damned truths spread
      about by eyewitnesses who should have known enough to lie about it.

      At least that's the story and they're sticking to it.

      Regarding practice: my first mentor in the Society always said that archery
      is 90% in the head, the rest is just mechanics. Picture the arrow leaving
      the bow perfectly, flying down range and sticking to the center of the
      bullseye. Feel that perfect release as your fingers are pushed away by the
      string. Hear the thump of the arrow into the target.

      This is no substitute for practice, if for no other reason than you need the
      practice to know these sensations. Archery is about doing the same things
      the same way, adapted to the range to the target, time after time after
      time.

      As far as hitting things besides the target, Grey Oddsson, Alasdair MacLir,
      and I used to be able to walk up the hall which was the indoor range at
      Michigan State and name off which of us had hit each projection from the
      walls and ceiling and often when. Alasdair has dropped out of the Society,
      but Grey and I are both Foresters (high level archery award in the Middle
      Kingdom) and still occasionally hit things we were not planning on.

      Padraig MacRaighne, who ought to practice more.