Archery at Midrealm Spring Crown

  • Lord Caedmon Wilson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2006
      Greetings.

      Archery at this year's Midrealm Spring Crown went well from a
      marshalling point of view. The weather was great. As much as we had
      fun complaining about the heat and humidity, I will take that over the
      weather at Baron Wars any day.

      The morning started out slow. Dougal did a great job as an MIT.
      Honestly, there are some people who should be allowed to skip the
      signature process half-way and take their test.

      In the afternoon, we began the novelties. I had purchased several
      animal targets and made creative and cruel use of them.

      My mantra is "keep the shoot simple", so I did. We had the turkey
      target (named Will) at a randomly chosen distance somewhere between 20
      and 30 yards. I had the rabbit up close and personal, about 7 yards.
      The fox was placed behind two targets acting as "bushes" and another
      animal target was placed at an angle from the shooting line and folks
      had to straddle a specific spot to hit. Dougal then set up an
      "advancing animal" shoot.

      Oh, there was the head. I set up a styrofoam head beyond 40. We
      estimated it to be about 65 yards. Folks then shot 6 arrows to see
      who get the closest to it. The best shot of the day was 3/4th of my
      arrow shaft. Many of the archers learned to aim the arrow up so the
      arrow could drop down from the sky. It also made the shoot more
      interesting.

      Overall, the archers seemed to enjoy themselves. I would say there
      were up to 20 folks at one time at the range before the count started
      to drop off.

      --
      Lord Caedmon Wilson

      Oaken Region Youth Combat Marshal
      Oaken Region Thrown Weapon Champion

      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum
      saxum immane mittam.