Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Olympic Archery

  • Carolus von Eulenhorst
    Message 1 of 17 , May 27, 2006
      I believe this is the primary advantage of modern archery. The style
      and physical form is highly developed with the modern equipment. I
      personally think it gives a firm grounding which translates to other
      forms of shooting. Yes, it is possible to become dependent on modern
      gadgets, but my experience is that it really happens very
      rarely. Moving to more period gear then becomes a further challenge
      rather than a handicap. I also believe that rankings and
      standardized shoots are good training tools. But I have a problem
      with using them or prizes for winning competitions as marks of
      achievement. In Caid we have few events with a prize and those that
      do tend to be mostly novelties. The one exception is our Queen's
      Champion which is a Royal Round. This has been established by
      tradition for many years and thus is seen as a mark of
      consistency. Rather, the encouragement of fellow archers seems to
      influence more people to emulate period archery. Telling someone how
      good they look or simply recognizing their effort goes quite far in
      encouraging period style. That said, I freely admit that I still
      shoot my early stripped down Olympic equipment. I am no longer able
      to put in the hours of practice and be competitive so I am happy
      plinking and playing at the game. Medieval archery for me has become
      a matter of research. And SCA archery has become a matter of service
      rather than shooting. There are many reasons for the choices people
      make. Just as it is not obvious why one is entitled to that
      handicap placard in their car, there can be many reasons for one's
      shooting more modern equipment and they still are doing what the SCA
      was founded for - the study of pre-17th century history.
      Carolus