Olympic Archery without a shelf

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 34 , May 26, 2006
      I have owned and broken a true "English" longbow. and currently shoot an
      Elizibethian era "English" longbow(three parts wood and bamboo glued
      together). As you can see bows can be defined very specificaly. See:
      http://www.longbow-archers.com/fraternity.htm
      http://www.livinghistory.co.uk/homepages/purbrook_bowmen/
      An "English" Longbow is "D" section, min length, min draw weight, wood(yew,
      self wood, bow is the best), no cutout, no riser section(that means no thick
      section at the hand grip{you can feel the bow working in your hand!!}) and
      with horn nocks. I am sure I have missed some of the restrictions ...the
      English are picky.
      To shoot without a shelf place your bow hand on the bow so that the first
      knuckle is one half arrow width below dynamic center of the bow(that will
      take a month to ten years to learn). Rest the arrow on that knuckle, pull
      and shoot normaly.
      Repeat for 100 times a day for 15 to 20 years and you will be an average
      archer. In the 100 Years War to be payed as an archer you have to hit
      within a bow lenth radius of the 100 yard flag. It is called under hand
      shooting because you have to look under your hand to see the target.

      James Cunningham

      I shoot a reflex/deflex (with a shelf) and I am VERY curious about how you
      shoot without one. I have been to alot of event and have YET to see a true
      "longbow."
    • Da'Ud
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 10, 2013
        Greetings fellow Archers!!

        Excited to try out my new period E/WLB tomorrow at the Barony archery practice. Woot. I love archery. It's been a long time since I have shot a flight of arrows, and never before anything but either a compound bow or a modern recurved fiberglass Bear Kodiak.

        Should be fun. Good day to all..

        YIS,

        Davyd