Re: [SCA-Archery] help or ideas requested

  • John Rockwell
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2000
      To build a fun archery program it takes some of the following
      1. imagination
      2. some people who like to shoot
      3. target distances for the youth and new adult archers
      4. people to come up with some creative shoots
      5. loaner equipment. Keep the draw weight of the bow between 20 and 35 lbs.
      6. a range to shoot on.

      The most important thing to have is the desire to be with friends and family
      and have fun.

      Ian G
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2000
        Get kids involved. Kids love archery, and at least in my family's case,
        once my little brother took the sport up, my Father and I got into it
        too.

        Juliet
      • Alberic
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2000
          Elizabeth Pidgeon wrote:

          > I have to concur with this one of the largest deterents to the new archer
          > is the often long distances being shot , for two reasons one being it is
          > difficult for them to hit anything and it greatly contributes to arrow loss
          > and breakage . I don't shoot much with the SCA as modern bows make me vreak
          > out in hives
          > but I have noted that starting off newcommers with short distances go a
          > long way to prmote enthuseasum and make them want to come back we also have
          > divisions for new archers where they can have a sence of accomplishment
          > while developing their skills .
          > Karl
          > Message text written by INTERNET:SCA-Archery@egroups.com

          Greetings:

          I'd definitely second the short range to start reccomendation. If it's
          loaner gear, or if the newbie hasn't used it regularly, they may well
          need a few short "gimme" shots to get the feel of the weapon. Once
          they've got the flight ballistics modeled in their heads, then they can
          move out to longer ranges.
          I don't shoot with any great regularity on any one bow, and I frequently
          need a few point blank shots to get a feel for where the longer aim
          points are.

          Cheers-
          Alberic
        • firefen@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 5, 2000
            Thanks every one for such wonderful ideas I will certainly make use of them.
            I am sorry I was unable to reply sooner.
            Gillian