Re: [SCA-Archery] Definition of our goals (Was: fiberglass in the period division?)

  • Chris Nogy
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2000
      On 5/2/00 at 1:28 PM Bob & Nancy Upson wrote:

      >Then why are we (well, not me, actually ;) so obsessed with
      >modern shoots in the SCA?

      You and I are in complete agreement on this point - have been on the same side of the gate too many times to count.

      The extension theory works here. We are obsessed with modern competitions because they deliver what we have been taught to obsess on. Points for total success, feel-good points for a nice try, competition by the numbers and don't make anyone feel bad because they can't hit the preferred target.

      Most period competitions are not so complex, modern game theory wasn't even invented yet, simple rewards were given for simply completing the task at hand - hitting the target. If you couldn't, you had to feel frustrated on your won and either quit (peer pressure usually kept that from happening) or get better - no more complicated than that. Unfortunately, most of us are more fragile than that. If we cannot achieve success in hittting a target in the first 10 mintues, we walk away from the sport. We are coddled and spoon-fed from introduction with short ranges and huge targets. (I wasn't, my first experience was in a real competition - a 30 yard wand shoot - and I was using borrowed gear. I didn't win - big surprise - but the rush of using a real wood bow stuck with me from that day on.) Then we are rushed into scoring competitions, so it is practically all we know.

      But the rules not only allow that, they inspire it.

      Don't like it, no sirrreee.

      Kaz
      phbbbbttttttt on it all...