Fiberglass in Period IKAC

  • aleksei1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2000
      My Friends,
      I have been reading this thread for some time now and feel it is time
      to add my voice to the fray. There seem to be two main camps in this
      discussion; those who are more interested in the re-creation aspects of
      period archery, and those who are more interested in competition.
      For those who think a modern fiberglass backed longbow, or Mongol style
      have a distinct accuracy advantage, you haven't stood next to some of the
      Ludicrous or Grand Masters who shoot yew or lemonwood. Believe me, its a
      real eye opener and humbling experience.
      We are discussing one division of one competition. I believe that so
      long as the equipment maintains the appearance of period archery tackle
      (admittedly, very subjective), the composition should be secondary. Yes,
      this is a change of heart, and I thank Andras the Truemark for bringing
      logic to my opinion. I can find no logical reason to change the rules as
      they presently stand. Its fun to have people compliment me on the
      hickory backed yew longbow I made, or on my self-nocked arrows, but any
      low scores are strictly caused by operator error, not my equipment. I
      also shoot a Martin ML-14 and the scores remain essentially the same.
      Some days I'm better with one than the other, but the equipment remains
      constant.
      We each have to find our own path to our own goals.
      In Service,
      Aleksei Zateev
      AnTir
      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • Chris Nogy
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2000
        On 5/2/00 at 10:10 AM aleksei1@... wrote:

        > For those who think a modern fiberglass backed longbow, or Mongol style
        >have a distinct accuracy advantage, you haven't stood next to some of the
        >Ludicrous or Grand Masters who shoot yew or lemonwood. Believe me, its a
        >real eye opener and humbling experience.

        It is not really surprising.

        The SCA was designed for those who have a hobby budget of time. There will always be those who immerse themselves in something and become Grand Masters at it. But the average SCA shooter is a hobbyist shooter, and the amount of time that can be allotted by such a person goes much farther with modern gear than it does with period gear.

        These archers pay a price in time that few of us are willing to pay, and they reap the rewards. But that doesn't inspire us average joes to work too hard at it, in fact it does just the opposite. It inspires us to find the quickest and easiest way we can locate to try to keep up with them on paper. But they really are superior to us, we just use the smoke and mirrors of modern gear to create the illusion that we are equal. I am one of the average joes when it comes to shooting - was once very respected with modern gear, now just becoming adequate with period stuff. But loving every minute of it, even when it gets frustrating.

        That is why it will be important to help construct some system that removes competitive advantage based on modern technical advancements (within safety constraints). If everyone is shooting the same type of gear, then everyone will be shooting on the same virtual field.

        There are great shooters of smooth bore rifles. But the average smoothbore shooter is an average shooter. Give the same person a rifled weapon, and their scores go up. Modern gear is like the rifled barrel, period gear is like the smoothbore. Both have their experts and their gods, and neither shooting form is better by definition, but they don't really belong in the same classes in competition.

        And if the emphasis is on score, I for one will take the rifled barrel weapon every time as long as the letter of the law allows it.

        Thankfully, my emphasis in archery isn't on score.

        Kaz