fundraisers, pt. 2

  • Eric Francis
    Message 1 of 2 , May 14, 2006
      <<A kingdom level tourney is fine, it is the household
      sponsored
      fundraiser which could be problematic. This could
      have been done a few years ago but since 9-11 the Feds
      have imposed certain financial requirements on
      non-profits which make our accounting practices
      critical. >>

      And that, actually, is why I suggested not having an
      official fundraiser as a function of the group. By
      having an individual hold it in their own name (or a
      household, which is legally a nonentity unless someone
      has gone and incorporated or gotten 501c3 status), we
      avoid all those financial requirements. However, the
      donation to the group is simple and straightforward,
      just as if I wanted to write a check for X amount of
      dollars for my shire, or make an in-kind donation.

      I've yet to be told by anyone in the exchequer's field
      that having fundraisers this way isn't foo, as we say
      in the South. If you know something I don't, I'm
      certainly eager to find out, because the last thing I
      want to do is cause problem for any group's nonprofit
      status. But I think this will fly.

      Peregrine

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 2 , May 14, 2006
        The difficulty here comes from two fronts. First, to represent the
        Kingdom the competition must happen at an official event. This means
        run under the auspices of the kingdom of one of its geopolitical
        units. This puts the fundraiser under specific requirements which
        must pass the kingdom's financial policies and financial
        committee. Secondly, if hosted by a household or other non-official
        entity, the donations are personal gifts, not deductible, and the
        hosting organization is not mandated to use those funds for their
        stated purpose. Now I don't think anyone would intentionally do
        this, seeing the level of honor and integrity shown in the
        SCA. However, I have also seen an equal level of inexperience,
        inadvertent carelessness, and simple distraction which can easily
        cause problems (the same reasons the BoD now requires financial
        policies). Just observations from someone who has seen Murphy at
        work in this organization for some 30 years.
        Carolus