fundraising tourneys

  • Eric Francis
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13 10:22 AM
      <<The collecting of money or donations for such a fund
      is not simple and would involve various approvals.>>

      There is a way around this. Hold a fundraising archery
      event but have it sponsored by an individual or
      household, not an actual SCA group. The sponsor
      collects the money, buys the equipment, and then
      donates the gear to the group. One of my marshals did
      this at Gulf Wars for her barony and got enough money
      to buy three 36-inch Saunders mats.

      Peregrine Fairchylde

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Domingos de Leon
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13 10:41 AM
        And this would be a better way to involve people who are not shooters too.

        Domingos

        <<The collecting of money or donations for such a fund
        is not simple and would involve various approvals.>>

        There is a way around this. Hold a fundraising archery
        event but have it sponsored by an individual or
        household, not an actual SCA group. The sponsor
        collects the money, buys the equipment, and then
        donates the gear to the group. One of my marshals did
        this at Gulf Wars for her barony and got enough money
        to buy three 36-inch Saunders mats.

        Peregrine Fairchylde

        http://mail.yahoo.com

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Carolus von Eulenhorst
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13 11:58 PM
          The difficulty with this is that it may run afoul of individual
          kingdoms financial policies, the event cannot be an official SCA
          activity covered by the SCA insurance, and the donations certainly
          won't be deductible for the donors, only the sponsor(s). With the
          current Homeland Security regs pertaining to fundraising and
          non-profits the climate pertaining to financial accountability by
          organizations has changed greatly.
          Carolus

          At 10:22 AM 5/13/2006, you wrote:

          ><<The collecting of money or donations for such a fund
          >is not simple and would involve various approvals.>>
          >
          >There is a way around this. Hold a fundraising archery
          >event but have it sponsored by an individual or
          >household, not an actual SCA group. The sponsor
          >collects the money, buys the equipment, and then
          >donates the gear to the group. One of my marshals did
          >this at Gulf Wars for her barony and got enough money
          >to buy three 36-inch Saunders mats.
          >
          >Peregrine Fairchylde

        • Domingos de Leon
          Message 4 of 5 , May 14 7:45 AM
            Why can a Kingdom level competition not be covered by SCA. Phooey on the
            donations. Let the archers pay their own way through whatever means
            possible. I hate it when such good ideas created for the betterment of the
            Kingdom as a whole can be so easily shot down. This is crazy. We should
            demand attestation of this. The SCA is not a Heavy Fighter organization only
            and the Crown can not possibly be so narrow minded as to not even hear this
            out.

            Domingos (before he finishes his first cup of coffee)

            At 10:22 AM 5/13/2006, you wrote:

            ><<The collecting of money or donations for such a fund
            >is not simple and would involve various approvals.>>
            >
            >There is a way around this. Hold a fundraising archery
            >event but have it sponsored by an individual or
            >household, not an actual SCA group. The sponsor
            >collects the money, buys the equipment, and then
            >donates the gear to the group. One of my marshals did
            >this at Gulf Wars for her barony and got enough money
            >to buy three 36-inch Saunders mats.
            >
            >Peregrine Fairchylde

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Carolus von Eulenhorst
            Message 5 of 5 , May 14 10:25 AM
              A kingdom level tourney is fine, it is the household sponsored
              fundraiser which could be problematic. This could have been done a
              few years ago but since 9-11 the Feds have imposed certain financial
              requirements on non-profits which make our accounting practices
              critical. I don't want to get into the modern politics but what we
              can due as an organization has been severely changed.
              Carolus