Popularity of Archery

  • Kinjal of Moravia
    Message 1 of 62 , May 13, 2006
      I know this idea will never fly, but in the concept of the
      dialectic, all possibilities should be voiced, to give others
      comparative worth.

      In order to popularize participation and spectator appeal for
      archery and other arts, these activities should be included as part
      of the selection of the next Baron, Prince or King of your realm.
      Knights of old (at least within the honored Orders) were
      accomplished in many arts and skills. Why should the new leaders of
      any SCA dominion not be likewise talented. Certainly, the sole
      selection requirement being skill with a shield and stick does not
      have a `regal' ring to it. So a plan something like this would
      produce the desired `popularization' goal:

      1) Selection is based on participation in five different events by
      the challenging team (contestant and consort), with only one
      required to enter each event. These might be: Heavy Combat, Light
      Combat (either rapier or `non-shield' combat), Archery, Bardic Event
      and Crafts. In each event a contestant could win up to 10 points,
      not just win-loss, and advancement need not be by elimination type
      scoring. Skill, courtesy, style and courage could all be part of
      the scoring. The new `Crown' would be the highest accumulation of
      points.

      2) In combat, for example – each contestant could be awarded up to
      10 points regardless of win-loss, though there might be some limits
      like winner must get at least 6 points, and loser not more than 8.
      So those 40 minute exhaustion matches leading to a draw could award
      each up to 8 points each without a winner.

      3) In archery, the points could be based strictly on point total
      range with perhaps any Royal Round over 65 getting 10 points – or a
      combination of shoots in which `style' might count also.

      4) As both "Royal want-be's" would be involved, several events could
      occur simultaneously, with even more than 5 events coming into play.

      They key for Archery popularity (and in fairness to other arts) is
      that each semi-annual Regal Tourney would require that each
      contestant team participate in archery, even if they never hit a
      target and get only one point.

      kinjal
    • Se�n Moore
      Message 62 of 62 , Jun 14, 2006
        Hey,

        We shot a Western followed by a double clout a few weeks ago and I just
        don't want to work that out, other than I was completely exhausted for days
        afterwards.

        Sean

        P.S. Shooting with a broken finger (don't ask how it happened, is not good
        for clout shooting, especially with a 80lb bow.

        Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro