Re: [SCA-Archery] help or ideas requested

  • corr.mhaire@juno.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2000
      Fun shoots have always gotten me more excited about shooting that just
      20, 30, 40 yds at 5 color targets. Although you do need your share of
      basic training practice at standard targets. Our group(s) try to come up
      with both period shoots, and entertaining shoots in addition to the basic
      practice. Perhaps if you were able to have a shoot in conjunction with
      another event where you could have a fun or novelty shoot that would draw
      people to at least watch, you may get more interest. If loaner bows and
      arrows and marshalls/teachers are available you may also be able to have
      a "give it a try" shoot with little tokens for anyone hitting the target.
      Maybe balloons, like the old dart games. The balloons should pop easily
      if they are inflated to the right amount (this may take some
      experimenting on your part to know how full to make them.)

      Displays, or classes at A&S events about making arrows, bows, other parts
      of equipment used in archery (quivers, etc), shooting techniques, or
      types of bows, etc. Talk up archery as a marshall art/competition anyone
      can participate in. I can't fence anymore due to a knee injury but can
      enjoy myself and the challenge of besting my last best score in archery.
      I also enjoy the comradery and encouragement among our archers.

      Some of the 'fun' shoots we have had are:

      Bowslinger - (like the gunslingers on main street in Dodge) two archer
      silhouettes are set up. Two shooters begin advancing together on the
      targets with an arrow nocked. At the Command from the marshall they draw
      and fire, and continue to do so until 6 arrows are loosed or one of the
      archers (silhouettes) is injured or killed.

      The Hunt - at a controlled outdoor site (or a commercial indoor range
      with 3-D's and obstacles) a walking shoot is set up with various targets
      (deer, goose, boar, etc) set up at different distances, some partially
      behind bushes etc. with one arrow allowed at each target. If it were a
      real hunt you would only get one chance before the game ran away. The
      targets can be as simple as drawn silhouettes of the animals.

      Castle defense - shooting down a hill toward a set of targets drawn to
      represent attacking soldiers, knights, Vikings, etc. To make it more
      realistic you set up an arrow slit blind that the archer has to shoot
      through as if from inside the castle. (shooting down the hill so it is
      more like shooting from above in the castle, it could also be on level
      ground.

      Horseback shoot - someone constructed a sawhorse/stick hobby horse. The
      archer had to sit on the horse with his feet off the ground (they would
      be in the stirrups) and shoot at target ahead of them and one off to
      their rear. Ladies are allowed to sit side saddle. (Believe me sitting
      side saddle was easier that astraddle)

      Yatzee - draw on five sheets of poster board, six squares each, and fill
      the squares with the dots of the six sides of the die. Each sheet
      represents one of the dice in the game. One arrow at each sheet trying
      to hit the right squares to make up the different rolls required in
      yatzee. You can allow one or two chances to re-shoot any shots you don't
      like (the same as re-rolling any die you want to try and change).

      Handicapped hunt - a series of targets are set up representing different
      animals. The archers work their way down the line of targets trying to
      get a hit. If they miss a target they are given a handicap related to
      the target that they must continue with through the rest of the targets.
      ie: miss the grouse, and you must shoot with a piece of lace over your
      eyes because the grouse flew up in your face and left feathers in your
      eyes. miss the pine martin, and a weight is attached to the bow arm
      because the martin jumped on your arm to escape and scratched you badly.
      miss the boar and shoot on your knees because the boar caught your leg in
      a glancing blow as it ran past you, etc. Point differences could also be
      awarded depending on weather the shot wounded or killed the animal.

      My appologies for the length of this, but I just got on a roll and
      couldn't stop myself

      Cecelia
      On Tue, 02 May 2000 06:02:29 -0000 firefen@... writes:
      > I am looking for ideas to get people more involved with Archery. I am
      >
      > afraid that interest in my area is saddly lacking. I would like to
      > get more folks interested.
      > Gillian

      > Now the best and coolest websites come right to you based on your
      > unique interests. eTour.com is surfing without searching.
      > And, it's FREE!

    • SwayzeK
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2000
        On May 2, 6:02am, firefen@... wrote:
        > I am looking for ideas to get people more involved with Archery. I am
        > afraid that interest in my area is saddly lacking. I would like to
        > get more folks interested.
        > Gillian

        >-- End of excerpt from firefen@...

        My suggestions are to arrange to have loaner gear available for people to try
        out, set some targets up at 10-15 yards and encourage your current archers to
        help teach. Fun tournaments for beginners helps, also. Try shooting at
        balloons or stuffed animals. Beginners and children really enjoy seeing
        something happen when their arrow gets to the right place. Good luck.

        Ailinn Shadowfox
      • Elizabeth Pidgeon
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2000
          I have to concur with this one of the largest deterents to the new archer
          is the often long distances being shot , for two reasons one being it is
          difficult for them to hit anything and it greatly contributes to arrow loss
          and breakage . I don't shoot much with the SCA as modern bows make me vreak
          out in hives
          but I have noted that starting off newcommers with short distances go a
          long way to prmote enthuseasum and make them want to come back we also have
          divisions for new archers where they can have a sence of accomplishment
          while developing their skills .
          Karl
          Message text written by INTERNET:SCA-Archery@egroups.com

          My suggestions are to arrange to have loaner gear available for people to
          try
          out, set some targets up at 10-15 yards and encourage your current archers
          help teach. Fun tournaments for beginners helps, also. Try shooting at
          balloons or stuffed animals. Beginners and children really enjoy seeing
          something happen when their arrow gets to the right place. Good luck.
          <
        • Jason Farrell
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2000
            What Ailinn said is right. All archers must welcome any new people and
            encourage them to shoot.

            We have 4 of 5 marshals there at every practice and so the line is safe and
            the new people are in good hands.

            Make sure it's well advertised that there is an archery practice and that
            new people are welcome.

            In service
            Lord Angall Ó Fearghail
            House of the Broken Axe
            Castelan Shire of L'Ile du Dragon Dormant
            http://pages.citenet.net/users/ctj0011/medieval/household/

            > On May 2, 6:02am, firefen@... wrote:
            > > I am looking for ideas to get people more involved with Archery. I am
            > > afraid that interest in my area is saddly lacking. I would like to
            > > get more folks interested.
            > > Gillian
            >
            > >-- End of excerpt from firefen@...
            >

            > My suggestions are to arrange to have loaner gear available for people to
            try
            > out, set some targets up at 10-15 yards and encourage your current archers
            > help teach. Fun tournaments for beginners helps, also. Try shooting at
            > balloons or stuffed animals. Beginners and children really enjoy seeing
            > something happen when their arrow gets to the right place. Good luck.
            >
            > Ailinn Shadowfox
          • John Rockwell
            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2000
              To build a fun archery program it takes some of the following
              1. imagination
              2. some people who like to shoot
              3. target distances for the youth and new adult archers
              4. people to come up with some creative shoots
              5. loaner equipment. Keep the draw weight of the bow between 20 and 35 lbs.
              6. a range to shoot on.

              The most important thing to have is the desire to be with friends and family
              and have fun.

              Ian G

            • JulietPenley@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 8 , May 2, 2000
                Get kids involved. Kids love archery, and at least in my family's case,
                once my little brother took the sport up, my Father and I got into it
                too.

                Juliet
              • Alberic
                Message 7 of 8 , May 2, 2000
                  Elizabeth Pidgeon wrote:

                  > I have to concur with this one of the largest deterents to the new archer
                  > is the often long distances being shot , for two reasons one being it is
                  > difficult for them to hit anything and it greatly contributes to arrow loss
                  > and breakage . I don't shoot much with the SCA as modern bows make me vreak
                  > out in hives
                  > but I have noted that starting off newcommers with short distances go a
                  > long way to prmote enthuseasum and make them want to come back we also have
                  > divisions for new archers where they can have a sence of accomplishment
                  > while developing their skills .
                  > Karl
                  > Message text written by INTERNET:SCA-Archery@egroups.com

                  Greetings:

                  I'd definitely second the short range to start reccomendation. If it's
                  loaner gear, or if the newbie hasn't used it regularly, they may well
                  need a few short "gimme" shots to get the feel of the weapon. Once
                  they've got the flight ballistics modeled in their heads, then they can
                  move out to longer ranges.
                  I don't shoot with any great regularity on any one bow, and I frequently
                  need a few point blank shots to get a feel for where the longer aim
                  points are.

                  Cheers-
                  Alberic
                • firefen@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 5, 2000
                    Thanks every one for such wonderful ideas I will certainly make use of them.
                    I am sorry I was unable to reply sooner.
                    Gillian