Archery Championship

  • Cian of Storvik
    Message 1 of 4 , May 12 8:31 PM
      Wow! What a tulmult that was started!
      I was imagining a large event where people were already going to be in
      attendance. (read local Kingdom competition or Pennsic or Estrella),
      Some events already gather many of the knowne world Scadians. I know
      that Pennsic holds "champions" shoots for a war point, but isn't this
      a team effort (of say a dozen archers)? Is there any attempt at having
      a non-war-point, free-for-all top champion competition at Pennsic?
      I have not had the finances since joining the SCA to attend a Pennsic,
      but I read every article on Pennsic with relish (and sometimes
      mustard!), and have never heard of top archer awards.
      If there is such a thing, who's been winning it?
      -Cian
    • James Koch
      Message 2 of 4 , May 12 9:12 PM
        At 11:31 PM 5/12/2006, you wrote:
        >Wow! What a tulmult that was started!
        >I was imagining a large event where people were already going to be in
        >attendance. (read local Kingdom competition or Pennsic or Estrella),
        >Some events already gather many of the knowne world Scadians. I know
        >that Pennsic holds "champions" shoots for a war point, but isn't this
        >a team effort (of say a dozen archers)? Is there any attempt at having
        >a non-war-point, free-for-all top champion competition at Pennsic?
        >I have not had the finances since joining the SCA to attend a Pennsic,
        >but I read every article on Pennsic with relish (and sometimes
        >mustard!), and have never heard of top archer awards.
        >If there is such a thing, who's been winning it?
        >-Cian

        Cian,

        The Pennsic champion's shoot is a competition between two teams of 30 where
        the team with the highest cumulative score wins the war point. There is a
        champion's practice/try-out the day before where potential members of the
        team compete for the 30 spots and alternate positions, but this is actually
        rather informal. It's partially a matter of seeing who is present and who
        is still ready, willing and able to climb the hill to the range. If you
        haven't already seen it, here is a photo gallery of last Pennsic's competition
        http://www.pbase.com/darter02/p34_010
        It might be possible to hold a simple competition on the day of the
        practice and use the scores in choosing the members of the team. However,
        this is already a stressful matter since there is a great deal of tear down
        and set up involved in getting the range ready for the actual champion's
        shoot the following day. The champion's shoot is an all day catered event!

        Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)
      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 4 , May 14 5:20 PM
          I think Estrella has claimed to have a Know World Archery Championship. Lief
          of the Cresent Moon any comments?

          Only people as dedicated as Olympiads and World Champions make it to the
          main event. I think we should be happy to get an SCA Championship shoot
          done in one month my mail/e-mail.

          James Cunningham

          Archery Championship

        • locm@osprey.net
          Message 4 of 4 , May 14 6:31 PM
            Yes, I have claimed one Known World Championship as has one of my
            students, Daniel Arrownock. This was before they changed the name to
            Estrella Champion a few years ago.

            Leif of Crescent Moon
            Calontir archer