Re: [SCA-Archery] Question

  • John Edgerton
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2000
      The badge was passed on to the heralds. Now waiting for results.

      Jon

      On Mon, 1 May 2000 ragnar_wolf@... wrote:

      > Greetings
      >
      > Has anything developed from the discussion a while back about an SCA wide
      > archery marshal's badge or device?
      >
      > Ragnar the Wolf
      > Rusted Woodlands
      > East Kingdom

    • Katherine of the Deepwoods
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
        Greetings everyone

        I know that the bows are supposed to be 30#s at 28".
        But my draw length isn't 28", so my question is....
        Does a shorter draw lessen the poundage (or whatever
        the term is)?

        --
        In Service to The Crown and The Dream

        Katherine of the Deepwoods
        Web Minister for the Barony of the Osprey
        http://personalpages.tds.net/~nejma/welcome.html
        Kingdom of Meridies
        http://www.meridies.org
        A&S Coordinator in Meridies for The Medieval Times
        http://www.medtimes.org
      • MCARTHUR JAMES
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
          Yes; the farther the pull the greater the poundage. Of
          course, the SCA's combat archery rules measure the
          poundage of the bow itself, not the pull of the
          individual archer pulling it.

          William

          --- Katherine of the Deepwoods <nejma@...> wrote:
          > Greetings everyone
          >
          > I know that the bows are supposed to be 30#s at 28".
          >
          > But my draw length isn't 28", so my question is....
          > Does a shorter draw lessen the poundage (or whatever
          >
          > the term is)?
          >

          > --
          > In Service to The Crown and The Dream
          >
          > Katherine of the Deepwoods
          > Web Minister for the Barony of the Osprey
          > http://personalpages.tds.net/~nejma/welcome.html
          > Kingdom of Meridies
          > http://www.meridies.org
          > A&S Coordinator in Meridies for The Medieval Times
          > http://www.medtimes.org

          > leave this list]
          >

          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Katherine of the Deepwoods
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
            Okay so how does we, the people with short arms,
            compensate for the lack of pull?

            Katie

            MCARTHUR JAMES wrote:

            > Yes; the farther the pull the greater the poundage. Of
            > course, the SCA's combat archery rules measure the
            > poundage of the bow itself, not the pull of the
            > individual archer pulling it.
            >
            > William

          • Carolus von Eulenhorst
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
              Crossbows.
              In service to the dream,
              Carolus von Eulenhorst
              eulenhorst@...

              On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 09:08:09 -0600 Katherine of the Deepwoods
              <nejma@...> writes:
              >Okay so how does we, the people with short arms,
              >compensate for the lack of pull?
              >
              >Katie
              >
              >MCARTHUR JAMES wrote:
              >>
              >> Yes; the farther the pull the greater the poundage. Of
              >> course, the SCA's combat archery rules measure the
              >> poundage of the bow itself, not the pull of the
              >> individual archer pulling it.
              >>
              >> William

              >Brought to you eGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

              >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
              http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
            • James W. Pratt Jr.
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
                Greetings Katie

                The normal way is to buy a bow that has a higher draw weight at 28" say 45-50 then at 24" of actual draw it would be about 35-40. This requires a little trial and error to find the one you like(and can pull). A good rule of thumb is (if you are not shooting 2-300 arrows a week) pull the bow and hold it at full draw a dozen or so times... if you are not tired or shaking(at full draw) you can shoot a stronger bow.

                Other things to consider is what you want to do with the bow. For SCA targets 30-45lb is plent even on 100yard targets. If you want to hunt wild game each state has laws you need to know. If you want to hunt knights/kings in the SCA you need to know those rules for your kingdom.

                Words of caution do not overdraw the marked draw length of a backed or unbacked self wood bow!!
                I have seen a brand new $500 wood bow broken by mister long arms.

                James Cunningham

                > Okay so how does we, the people with short arms,
                > compensate for the lack of pull?
                >
                > Katie

              • TLW
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
                  > The normal way is to buy a bow that has a higher draw >weight at 28" say
                  45-50 then at 24" of actual draw it >would be about 35-40.

                  Just a word of warning. If you want to use this in combat, this won't work.
                  When we check the weight for combat archery the poundage is measured at 28".

                  My suggestion would be to borrow someone's bow that is 30 lbs at 28" and try
                  it out at fighter practice to see. If possible get a live target at see what
                  he/she says about your shots.

                  Tessa
                • Hernandez
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
                    Katherine of the Deepwoods said:

                    > I know that the bows are supposed to be 30#s at 28".
                    > But my draw length isn't 28", so my question is....
                    > Does a shorter draw lessen the poundage (or whatever
                    > the term is)?

                    As I understand it, the length of the arrows are to be 28".
                    Thereby making sure you cannot draw it to your "normal" drawlength.

                    G�cauo

                    "The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's
                    on."
                    -- Joseph Heller (b. 1923)
                    -- Author, writer, Catch-22
                  • Christopher Ballowe
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
                      Greetings Katie,
                      Since who will not be able to use the full 28", I would look to the arrows
                      to help compensate. I would try to make the lightest arrows legal for
                      your Kingdom, use only enought blunt, fletch, tape and glue to make a safe
                      arrow but no extra. I used to use alot of fletch but it slowed my arrows
                      down so much that they were easy to dodge. Good luck.

                      Chris Ballowe
                      HL Yeoman William Cristofore of Devonshire, OGGS
                      cballowe@...
                    • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 26, 2001
                        Use a crossbow *grin*

                        Siegfried

                        (Sorry, had to say it ... *smile*)

                        At 09:08 AM 3/25/2001 -0600, you wrote:
                        >Okay so how does we, the people with short arms,
                        >compensate for the lack of pull?
                        >
                        >Katie
                        >
                        >MCARTHUR JAMES wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Yes; the farther the pull the greater the poundage. Of
                        > > course, the SCA's combat archery rules measure the
                        > > poundage of the bow itself, not the pull of the
                        > > individual archer pulling it.
                        > >
                        > > William

                        >Brought to you eGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

                        Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org/
                      • Jennifer Hill
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 23, 2002
                          A search for take down recurves brought up a number of purveyors, but here
                          is one to give you an idea: http://www.greatplains.pampa.com/tdrecurv.htm
                          Gwen