Re: [SCA-Archery] fiberglass in the period division?

  • Chris Nogy
    Message 1 of 65 , May 1, 2000
      Thank you, Robert.

      Where you and I see this fairly clearly, the point I was also trying to make in my post is that many folks in the SCA do not really consider themselves medieval enthusiasts and therefore they have no problem just participating with very modern mindsets and equipment to enjoy the social aspects of our gatherings.

      My belief is that if you suddenly did not specifically disallow compound bows on the line, people would start shooting them in SCA tourneys. That is the level of disregard I have seen out of some people for the entire 'medieval' aspect of our group. But that is supposed to be OK, at least I have been told it is enough times that I am forced to act that way even if I don't fully believe it.

      Of course, I have seen this balanced by individuals with extreme regard for the medieval part of our activities.

      Human nature, however, tends to assure that people gravitate towards the simplest and most easily obtainable method acceptable for fitting in. In general they also tend to acquire whatever it takes to reach competitive advantage.

      Having made these three statements, it is easy to see why those who are more than just average in their pursuit of period archery in the SCA get frustrated. You can't change human nature, so we try to change the definition of minimum acceptable gear and competitive advantage to allow human nature to work for us instead of against us.

      Some try to do it slowly by being an example and hoping that people start to make new requirements. Some try to force it on the world.

      But the end result is just what you have seen here in the past 2 days - some folks say "sure, be more period, but don't force me." Others cry 'foul' and threaten to take their toys and leave if we tighten the requirements. Only a relative few embrace the ideas, and that will not turn the tide.

      Truth is, it ain't gonna get better than what Giovanni is doing - making a period division as part of his shoots - until a majority of folks who shoot agree that getting more period is not only OK, but is something that people should be actively guided towards (even themselves). And I don't see that happening soon.

      So I will keep shooting and participating at a competitive disadvantage and taking my lumps every time I try to improve the lot of things, because I believe in the simplicity of the idea you saw from my post enough to pursue it.

      Kaz
      Archer General of Calontir
      Huscarl of his Majesty's Army
      Warrior archer who works hard to be period but not an officer of the authenticity police.
    • Chris Nogy
      Message 65 of 65 , May 9, 2000
        Make your draw plate out of a piece of 16 gauge stainless, 7 x 2 inches.

        Lay out 2 rows of holes - 6 holes per row.

        Drill 2 holes (up and down from each other) 1/4, 9/32, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 13/32

        On the bottom row, use a 4 flute countersink to bevel the edge to paper thin. (the 4 flute countersink has a tendency to chatter in steel, that is why it is good. It will make the exit side of the hole slightly larger that the original and somewhat ragged).

        Use the bevelled hole as a scraper (pull a little tension on the scraper, then pull it up and down the shaft, rotating the shaft as you work) and use the clean hole as a gauge.

        Stop at the hole just before the one you want, finish with sandpaper and your spine tester and scale.

        It works pretty fast after you get the hang of it, so the work goes quickly.

        With this setup you can do almost all the shaft sizes and spines you want.

        As soon as I get the time, I have some photos of the equipment, plus some other devices I have designed to help in the small shop, that I am going to put on a web page. I'll let the address be known when I get it done, but it looks like it will be next week or later.

        Kaz