Question

  • ragnar_wolf@juno.com
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1 7:35 AM
      Greetings

      Has anything developed from the discussion a while back about an SCA wide
      archery marshal's badge or device?

      Ragnar the Wolf
      Rusted Woodlands
      East Kingdom
    • John Edgerton
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1 8:03 PM
        The badge was passed on to the heralds. Now waiting for results.

        Jon

        On Mon, 1 May 2000 ragnar_wolf@... wrote:

        > Greetings
        >
        > Has anything developed from the discussion a while back about an SCA wide
        > archery marshal's badge or device?
        >
        > Ragnar the Wolf
        > Rusted Woodlands
        > East Kingdom

      • Katherine of the Deepwoods
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
          Greetings everyone

          I know that the bows are supposed to be 30#s at 28".
          But my draw length isn't 28", so my question is....
          Does a shorter draw lessen the poundage (or whatever
          the term is)?

          --
          In Service to The Crown and The Dream

          Katherine of the Deepwoods
          Web Minister for the Barony of the Osprey
          http://personalpages.tds.net/~nejma/welcome.html
          Kingdom of Meridies
          http://www.meridies.org
          A&S Coordinator in Meridies for The Medieval Times
          http://www.medtimes.org
        • MCARTHUR JAMES
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
            Yes; the farther the pull the greater the poundage. Of
            course, the SCA's combat archery rules measure the
            poundage of the bow itself, not the pull of the
            individual archer pulling it.

            William

            --- Katherine of the Deepwoods <nejma@...> wrote:
            > Greetings everyone
            >
            > I know that the bows are supposed to be 30#s at 28".
            >
            > But my draw length isn't 28", so my question is....
            > Does a shorter draw lessen the poundage (or whatever
            >
            > the term is)?
            >

            > --
            > In Service to The Crown and The Dream
            >
            > Katherine of the Deepwoods
            > Web Minister for the Barony of the Osprey
            > http://personalpages.tds.net/~nejma/welcome.html
            > Kingdom of Meridies
            > http://www.meridies.org
            > A&S Coordinator in Meridies for The Medieval Times
            > http://www.medtimes.org

            > leave this list]
            >

            > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Katherine of the Deepwoods
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
              Okay so how does we, the people with short arms,
              compensate for the lack of pull?

              Katie

              MCARTHUR JAMES wrote:

              > Yes; the farther the pull the greater the poundage. Of
              > course, the SCA's combat archery rules measure the
              > poundage of the bow itself, not the pull of the
              > individual archer pulling it.
              >
              > William

            • Carolus von Eulenhorst
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
                Crossbows.
                In service to the dream,
                Carolus von Eulenhorst
                eulenhorst@...

                On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 09:08:09 -0600 Katherine of the Deepwoods
                <nejma@...> writes:
                >Okay so how does we, the people with short arms,
                >compensate for the lack of pull?
                >
                >Katie
                >
                >MCARTHUR JAMES wrote:
                >>
                >> Yes; the farther the pull the greater the poundage. Of
                >> course, the SCA's combat archery rules measure the
                >> poundage of the bow itself, not the pull of the
                >> individual archer pulling it.
                >>
                >> William

                >Brought to you eGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

                >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
              • James W. Pratt Jr.
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
                  Greetings Katie

                  The normal way is to buy a bow that has a higher draw weight at 28" say 45-50 then at 24" of actual draw it would be about 35-40. This requires a little trial and error to find the one you like(and can pull). A good rule of thumb is (if you are not shooting 2-300 arrows a week) pull the bow and hold it at full draw a dozen or so times... if you are not tired or shaking(at full draw) you can shoot a stronger bow.

                  Other things to consider is what you want to do with the bow. For SCA targets 30-45lb is plent even on 100yard targets. If you want to hunt wild game each state has laws you need to know. If you want to hunt knights/kings in the SCA you need to know those rules for your kingdom.

                  Words of caution do not overdraw the marked draw length of a backed or unbacked self wood bow!!
                  I have seen a brand new $500 wood bow broken by mister long arms.

                  James Cunningham

                  > Okay so how does we, the people with short arms,
                  > compensate for the lack of pull?
                  >
                  > Katie

                • TLW
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
                    > The normal way is to buy a bow that has a higher draw >weight at 28" say
                    45-50 then at 24" of actual draw it >would be about 35-40.

                    Just a word of warning. If you want to use this in combat, this won't work.
                    When we check the weight for combat archery the poundage is measured at 28".

                    My suggestion would be to borrow someone's bow that is 30 lbs at 28" and try
                    it out at fighter practice to see. If possible get a live target at see what
                    he/she says about your shots.

                    Tessa
                  • Hernandez
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
                      Katherine of the Deepwoods said:

                      > I know that the bows are supposed to be 30#s at 28".
                      > But my draw length isn't 28", so my question is....
                      > Does a shorter draw lessen the poundage (or whatever
                      > the term is)?

                      As I understand it, the length of the arrows are to be 28".
                      Thereby making sure you cannot draw it to your "normal" drawlength.

                      G�cauo

                      "The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's
                      on."
                      -- Joseph Heller (b. 1923)
                      -- Author, writer, Catch-22
                    • Christopher Ballowe
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 25, 2001
                        Greetings Katie,
                        Since who will not be able to use the full 28", I would look to the arrows
                        to help compensate. I would try to make the lightest arrows legal for
                        your Kingdom, use only enought blunt, fletch, tape and glue to make a safe
                        arrow but no extra. I used to use alot of fletch but it slowed my arrows
                        down so much that they were easy to dodge. Good luck.

                        Chris Ballowe
                        HL Yeoman William Cristofore of Devonshire, OGGS
                        cballowe@...
                      • Siegfried Sebastian Faust
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 26, 2001
                          Use a crossbow *grin*

                          Siegfried

                          (Sorry, had to say it ... *smile*)

                          At 09:08 AM 3/25/2001 -0600, you wrote:
                          >Okay so how does we, the people with short arms,
                          >compensate for the lack of pull?
                          >
                          >Katie
                          >
                          >MCARTHUR JAMES wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Yes; the farther the pull the greater the poundage. Of
                          > > course, the SCA's combat archery rules measure the
                          > > poundage of the bow itself, not the pull of the
                          > > individual archer pulling it.
                          > >
                          > > William

                          >Brought to you eGroups Ad Free in 2001 by Baron Bows

                          Baronial Web Minister http://highland-foorde.atlantia.sca.org/
                        • Jennifer Hill
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 23, 2002
                            A search for take down recurves brought up a number of purveyors, but here
                            is one to give you an idea: http://www.greatplains.pampa.com/tdrecurv.htm
                            Gwen