Winter Challenge Final Results

  • Bruce R. Gordon
    Message 1 of 262 , May 9 4:24 PM
      Greetings

      The last scores have trickled in, and all the files have been edited and uploaded.

      See the top score at...
      http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/scores.html

      and see the finals for all participants at...
      http://web.raex.com/~obsidian/scor0506.html

      The good news is that we received this year the highest recorded score ever, a stunning 306 (see Top Score file listed above for details) - I would never have believed it possible to breach 300, but it's been done now. The bad news, however, is that we had the smallest number of participants ever, only 250, 254 with youth variants. I know that archery participation in the SCA has been falling off overall for some time, and other postal shoots have seen drops as well. Nevertheless, if there is anything I could be doing differently next season in order to increase interest, please don't hesitate to let me know. One idea I've been mulling over is to take a leaf from the IKACs, and award prizes. I will keep all and sundry informed as things develop. For now, thank you all for participating, we will return next season at the usual time.

      Baron Nigel FitzMaurice
      Winter Challenge coordinator

      "Do these colors match?"
      "Is this too much jewelry?"
      "Is that my drink?"

    • jameswolfden
      Message 262 of 262 , Sep 28, 2006
        I favour the 'breaks, moves, pop when it hits". Balloons don't look too period but you can
        buy clay pigeons and discs that break when hit. Wal-Mart has the 2" disc that Daisy makes
        for pellet guns for under $6 for 60 discs. That's just a little smaller than the inner gold
        ring. More period would be a wand shoot. Use something like rattan. Glancing blows don't
        count nor do bounce-outs or blow throws. The arrow sticks in the wand or you are
        eliminated.

        An idea for the heralding results, is to have a banner for each archer. This could be simply
        a red banner and a blue banner with a colour being assigned to each archer in an
        elimination pair. They shoot the end, march to the target carrying their banner, determine
        between them who won and who lost. The archers turn to the audience/crown and the
        losing archer lowers his banner. A variation on the "let the slain man tell if he be slain".

        James Wolfden