Re: [SCA-Archery] fiberglass in the period division?

  • blkknighti@aol.com
    Message 1 of 65 , Apr 30, 2000
      In a message dated 5/1/2000 1:50:27 AM, Hugewheels@... writes:

      >>Now please disregard any kind of sarcastic tone to this it is a serious
      question. That said here is my question. What other aspects of medieval
      archery re-creation are there? It seems to me that learning how to shoot
      period gear in a period manner IS medieval archery re-creation. Sure
      some people out there may want to take their nice modern bows and go win
      tournaments, but that isn't medieval or recreation. That is just archery
      and can be done almost anywhere.<<

      You are absolutly correct! Well said!

      Richard
    • Chris Nogy
      Message 65 of 65 , May 9, 2000
        Make your draw plate out of a piece of 16 gauge stainless, 7 x 2 inches.

        Lay out 2 rows of holes - 6 holes per row.

        Drill 2 holes (up and down from each other) 1/4, 9/32, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 13/32

        On the bottom row, use a 4 flute countersink to bevel the edge to paper thin. (the 4 flute countersink has a tendency to chatter in steel, that is why it is good. It will make the exit side of the hole slightly larger that the original and somewhat ragged).

        Use the bevelled hole as a scraper (pull a little tension on the scraper, then pull it up and down the shaft, rotating the shaft as you work) and use the clean hole as a gauge.

        Stop at the hole just before the one you want, finish with sandpaper and your spine tester and scale.

        It works pretty fast after you get the hang of it, so the work goes quickly.

        With this setup you can do almost all the shaft sizes and spines you want.

        As soon as I get the time, I have some photos of the equipment, plus some other devices I have designed to help in the small shop, that I am going to put on a web page. I'll let the address be known when I get it done, but it looks like it will be next week or later.

        Kaz