Target Archery as sport

  • J. Hughes
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2006
      I was reading Verbruggen's Art of Warfare in Western Europe when I found on p153 the following information:

      “In 1350 a contest took place at Tournai between the crossbowmen of thirty six cities, and the two prizes offered for the best archers were won by men from Bruges and Ypres. The innumerable battles in which these archers had taken part in the firs half of the fourteenth century contributed greatly to their successes in this contest.”

      Charles O'Connor