13th century focus - Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: English only and mostly military perception of archery in the SCA

  • Siegfried
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2006
      Getting a little off topic here, however:

      > But let's face it, the entire SCA seems focused on 13th and 14th century
      > Europe. Most heavy fighters take their cue for their armor and device development
      > from that period...if not persona as well. (Just look at a picture from
      > Pennsic.) True, there is the occasional Viking or Samurai or Sheik, but they are
      > indeed the exception, and not the norm, appearing a bit anachronistic in a sea of
      > anachronism.

      Actually, you have missed one major thing here though.

      There is a really strong reason why you see 90% of SCA fighters in
      13th/14th century armor. But go ask them their period/persona, and
      you will get a vast range.

      The reason? It works within the rules of heavy combat.

      If you start looking at earlier armor, it starts being not SCA legal
      inherantly (raw maille), and
      needs additional work done if you really want to get that look. (such
      as hidden protection UNDER the visible protection)

      If you look at even earlier period armor, you often run into: What
      armor? Or so little that it isn't going to be legal.

      If you look at late period armor, you either get:
      * Full suits of plate, that are impractical in SCA 'sport' combat, as
      their benefit (being impervious to harm) is negated by our rules.
      * Lack of armor (ala Landsknechts/etc) -- When guns could blow through
      most anything, why bother wearing much.
      * Armor meant for minimal protection (fencing jacks)

      So in reality, 13th/14th century armor is what 'works' for SCA combat.
      If we padded our weapons (ala Markland) then we could get away with
      less armor, and you would see alot of earlier period armor. If we
      counted 'armor as worn'. You would see alot of later period armor.

      Such is the sport that SCA combat is.

      Siegfried