The rest of the story (Was Old IKAC and 45# ??)

  • J. Hughes
    Message 1 of 51 , May 4, 2006
      Very true. I find most do not know that England was the foremost crossbow power/user in the period of Henry II/Richard Lionheart/John Lackland. English monarchs continued to use their Gascon crossbow even in the age of the longbow. Different military niches.

      Again when I mention the medieval Shutzenverign (sport archery clubs, dating back at least to the 14th century), I seem to get blank stares. But these were an essential part of building an effective urban militia and the results were impressive...We could copy some of their ceremony and regalia...

      Charles O'Connor

      John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
      And many, when considering military archery, only focus on English
      archery as used in major battles. They tend to ignore different
      tactics that were used in many small engagements and that most of
      europe preferred the crossbow.

    • John edgerton
      Message 51 of 51 , May 5, 2006
        On Thursday, May 4, 2006, at 11:14 AM, J. Hughes wrote:

        > Of course there were the vogelschutzen. But, a lot of the woodblock
        > prints from Germany show circular targets. By the end of period the
        > target faces were painted works of art, usually circular. One of the
        > prizes at a schutzenfest was both the shot-up target and an unshot-at
        > copy.

        I have seen some nice examples of those in Braun's "Historical Targets".

        > There is information on the targets used for competition in both
        > Ottoman Turkey and Mamluke Egypt. I even just recently came across a
        > picture of crossbowman shooting at a target in medieval Egypt...

        Could you tell me where to find that information. Does the picture of
        he crossbowman show the target in any detail?

        Jon