Re: English only and mostly military perception of archery in the SCA

  • WilliamTheArcher@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4 9:45 AM
      In a message dated 5/4/06 12:11:35 PM, hagerson@... writes:

      > My pardon, if you will. But in a sense your post goes to reinforce the
      > original posters intent. The SCA had and to a great extent still has a
      > strong English only and mostly military perception of archery. You
      > propose sport archery in your post as only in support of military archery.
      >
      > We still have a fair ways to go in a fuller understanding archery from
      > the many nations, peoples and times that the SCA encompasses. If we were
      > a tournament company, then the exclusive study of the archery from one
      > time and culture would be fine. But the SCA involves a much broader
      > scope of time and peoples.
      >
      > Areas that the SCA is just starting to touch are.......
      > Eastern Archery in the SCA period
      > Horse Archery
      > Norse (Viking) Archery
      > Late period crossbow tourneys
      > And many more examples I'm sure...........
      >
      > But more then 90% of what you see taught in the SCA, (if not reproduced
      > exactly) is the equipment and shooting style of the Great English War
      > Bow. Now I'm all for those folks that want to really dig into the
      > English Longbow. And in fact I encourage a high level of research and
      > recreation (it will only improve the SCA's image at large). But, not to
      > the exclusion of those that choose to examine (play with) other aspects
      > of historic archery.
      >
      > Njall
      >
      > --
      > Scott B Jaqua
      > Hagerson Forge

      Well said, and point taken.

      True, the SCA seems to support the "longbow" and it's period in history.

      But let's face it, the entire SCA seems focused on 13th and 14th century
      Europe. Most heavy fighters take their cue for their armor and device development
      from that period...if not persona as well. (Just look at a picture from
      Pennsic.) True, there is the occasional Viking or Samurai or Sheik, but they are
      indeed the exception, and not the norm, appearing a bit anachronistic in a sea of
      anachronism.

      William the Archer
      >>—————————>

    • Carolus von Eulenhorst
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4 10:39 PM
        This would be true if we focused on the
        battlefield. Fact is, late transition armor
        works best against the type of weapons we
        use. But let us look further afield. Caid has a
        heavy middle eastern influence. We also have a
        very great influence in renaissance Italian and
        English garb for court. I have seen a
        significant landesknecht influence from Atenveldt
        and have been told Midrealm and Calontir have
        strong Norse influences. We really do tend to be
        quite insular in our views of the SCA as a whole
        and tend to think the entire SCA mirrors our
        local culture. In reality, we are as diverse as
        the cultures we represent. Our activities, do,
        however, tend to cross these lines in their
        influences and archers of various kingdoms tend
        to be more like other archers than their own
        kingdoms, heavy foot are more like heavy foot,
        etc. It is when we take non-combatants into
        account that the true scope of diversity becomes apparent.
        Carolus