Re: Consistent sighting

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2006
      You have a number of options depending on the rules and traditions in
      your area. One option is just to keep doing on what your doing until
      your body 'learns' the right elevation.

      In An Tir, limb marks are allowed in the Open Class of the Royal
      Rounds and in some tournaments or competitions. I have only seen it
      done on modern style recurves. The Longbow and Period classes of the
      Royal Round do not permit but you could shoot a longbow in the Open
      class (that's why it is called open).

      I use point of aim. I aim the tip of the arrow at a specific point
      which changes depending on the distance. Obviously, I try to pick a
      spot that will put the arrows regardless of distance in the gold. At
      least, that's the intention. For example, at 40 yards, I am aiming
      above the target; at 30 yards, I am aiming at the gold; and at 20
      yards, I am aiming below the target. There may be left/right
      variations depending on the whether the arrows are spined properly.

      Another option and one I think is better but can't seem to do it
      properly is gap shooting. The difference between gap shooting and
      point of aim is where you are focused on. In point of aim, you are
      focused on your arrow tip and the artificial point you decided on;
      the gold (your real target) is in your peripheral vision. In gap
      shooting, you are focused on the gold and the tip of arrow is in your
      peripheral. You adjust the gap between the target and the arrow tip
      as required for the distance.

      James Wolfden

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, WilliamTheArcher@... wrote:

      > As I develop my skills with the longbow, I continue to strive to
      learn things
      > that will make me a better archer.
      >
      > My biggest challenge is knowing (on the first shot...and then
      consistently)
      > the proper elevation of my bow/arrow to ensure proper trajectory at
      30 and 40
      > yards. Though I shoot instinctually (as instinctually as I can), I
      have been
      > thinking about taking steps to make my shots more consistent at
      longer ranges.

      > Does anyone mark their bows for sighting?
      > And if not...any tips?
      >

      > William the Archer
      > >>â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€">

    • rebeccaatthewell_2000
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2006
        I didn't know that there was actually a name for how I shoot !!
        Cool :) thanks
        Isabella

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
        wrote:

        > I use point of aim. I aim the tip of the arrow at a specific point
        > which changes depending on the distance. Obviously, I try to pick a
        > spot that will put the arrows regardless of distance in the gold.
        At
        > least, that's the intention. For example, at 40 yards, I am aiming
        > above the target; at 30 yards, I am aiming at the gold; and at 20
        > yards, I am aiming below the target. There may be left/right
        > variations depending on the whether the arrows are spined properly.
        >

        > James Wolfden

      • Siegfried
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2006
          I use limb marks myself ... nice little ones, on my modern flatlimb longbow.

          I personally (just me) have some issues with rules (when they exist)
          that don't allow them. Since nothing stops a person from using marks
          in the grain of the wood, or other such things.

          I don't use them on my recurve for that reason. I didn't need to.
          Since the big black bolthead was a perfect 40, One glueline was a good
          30, and a scratch that the riser had developed a long while ago was a
          good 20.

          So I didn't use marks. But I was still shooting that way.

          Siegfried
          (Who does gap shooting with his crossbow though)

        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2006
            I use one finger over tow under. I have marks for 20-30 and 40 yards on my
            recurve. I have not marked my longbow. For 100yards or more I use under the
            hand to aim seems to work for all but my 50lb recurve. For 50-60-70 I use
            the tip of the arrow at foot of the target-top of the target and nuckle(sp)
            on the target. At 80-90 I am screwed the target is behind my hand.

            James Cunningham

            As I develop my skills with the longbow, I continue to strive to learn
            things
            that will make me a better archer.

            My biggest challenge is knowing (on the first shot...and then consistently)
            the proper elevation of my bow/arrow to ensure proper trajectory at 30 and
            40
            yards. Though I shoot instinctually (as instinctually as I can), I have been
            thinking about taking steps to make my shots more consistent at longer
            ranges.

            Does anyone mark their bows for sighting?
            And if not...any tips?

            William the Archer
            >>—————————>

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • THL Cain Saethydd
            Message 5 of 9 , May 4, 2006
              I use a consistant anchor point, stance, and three finger under
              method of release. The string is in my sight picture, and rests on an
              easily identifiable, vertical, portion of the bow. The tip of the
              arrow is sighted at a consistant point for the range/target, which is
              determined from experience or practice rounds. I personaly dislike
              limb marks, just a me thing.

              If you are familiar with using open sights on rifles, you may be
              familiar with I am about to say.

              In the sight picture, everything should be crystal clear. Now,
              theoreticaly, this is impossible. However, your mind can and will
              compensate for the fuzzieness of the closer items. This is how it works:
              The mind already knows what your string looks like, as well as your
              bow and arrow. To accomplish the clear sight picture, change your
              focus from the string to the bow, to the tip, then to the target. Do
              this rapidly, and only once, or vertigo may result. YOU know what the
              string, bow and arrow looks like, so they will be crystal clear in
              your mind. This will take practice, lots of it. But when it happens,
              you will be shocked. Soon it will be second nature, just a thoughtless
              act as you set your draw.

              Oddly enough, I actualy use this in hardsuit battles as well, when
              swinging a sword. It is amazing how well it helps your battlefield
              awareness and command ability.

              Cain

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, WilliamTheArcher@... wrote:

              > As I develop my skills with the longbow, I continue to strive to
              learn things
              > that will make me a better archer.
              >
              > My biggest challenge is knowing (on the first shot...and then
              consistently)
              > the proper elevation of my bow/arrow to ensure proper trajectory at
              30 and 40
              > yards. Though I shoot instinctually (as instinctually as I can), I
              have been
              > thinking about taking steps to make my shots more consistent at
              longer ranges.

              > Does anyone mark their bows for sighting?
              > And if not...any tips?
              >

              > William the Archer
              > >>â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€">

            • Nest verch Tangwistel

                Message 7 of 9 , May 4, 2006
                  Maybe you could get an MIT, and have them hold the watch for your turn?

                  Nest

                  Cian of Storvik <firespiter@...> wrote:

                  At 20 and 30, I shoot completely instinctively, but my highest rr last
                  year was like a 61. This year, I have been shooting totally
                  instinctively, but I haven't shot a legal royal round in about 6
                  months. (I'm marshalling, and the one holding the stop watch, and
                  making sure people don't shoot themselves).

                  (Sigh) Such is the sacrifice we make for the safety of newbies.
                  -Cian of Storvik