Re: Consistent sighting

  • Cian of Storvik
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2006
      I had tried using hash marks on a piece of tape on my ELB to mark the
      40 yd. But had very poor results (They say you really need to stick
      with it for a duration though before you will see any acclimation to a
      new technique). I had much better results by closing one eye and using
      an imaginary sight point that the arrow point was sitting over upon
      release (like recurve users do). In fact, my 40 was better then my
      30's while doing this.

      At 20 and 30, I shoot completely instinctively, but my highest rr last
      year was like a 61. This year, I have been shooting totally
      instinctively, but I haven't shot a legal royal round in about 6
      months. (I'm marshalling, and the one holding the stop watch, and
      making sure people don't shoot themselves).

      (Sigh) Such is the sacrifice we make for the safety of newbies.
      -Cian of Storvik
    • jameswolfden
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2006
        You have a number of options depending on the rules and traditions in
        your area. One option is just to keep doing on what your doing until
        your body 'learns' the right elevation.

        In An Tir, limb marks are allowed in the Open Class of the Royal
        Rounds and in some tournaments or competitions. I have only seen it
        done on modern style recurves. The Longbow and Period classes of the
        Royal Round do not permit but you could shoot a longbow in the Open
        class (that's why it is called open).

        I use point of aim. I aim the tip of the arrow at a specific point
        which changes depending on the distance. Obviously, I try to pick a
        spot that will put the arrows regardless of distance in the gold. At
        least, that's the intention. For example, at 40 yards, I am aiming
        above the target; at 30 yards, I am aiming at the gold; and at 20
        yards, I am aiming below the target. There may be left/right
        variations depending on the whether the arrows are spined properly.

        Another option and one I think is better but can't seem to do it
        properly is gap shooting. The difference between gap shooting and
        point of aim is where you are focused on. In point of aim, you are
        focused on your arrow tip and the artificial point you decided on;
        the gold (your real target) is in your peripheral vision. In gap
        shooting, you are focused on the gold and the tip of arrow is in your
        peripheral. You adjust the gap between the target and the arrow tip
        as required for the distance.

        James Wolfden

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, WilliamTheArcher@... wrote:

        > As I develop my skills with the longbow, I continue to strive to
        learn things
        > that will make me a better archer.
        >
        > My biggest challenge is knowing (on the first shot...and then
        consistently)
        > the proper elevation of my bow/arrow to ensure proper trajectory at
        30 and 40
        > yards. Though I shoot instinctually (as instinctually as I can), I
        have been
        > thinking about taking steps to make my shots more consistent at
        longer ranges.

        > Does anyone mark their bows for sighting?
        > And if not...any tips?
        >

        > William the Archer
        > >>â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€"â€">

      • rebeccaatthewell_2000
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2006
          I didn't know that there was actually a name for how I shoot !!
          Cool :) thanks
          Isabella

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "jameswolfden" <jameswolfden@...>
          wrote:

          > I use point of aim. I aim the tip of the arrow at a specific point
          > which changes depending on the distance. Obviously, I try to pick a
          > spot that will put the arrows regardless of distance in the gold.
          At
          > least, that's the intention. For example, at 40 yards, I am aiming
          > above the target; at 30 yards, I am aiming at the gold; and at 20
          > yards, I am aiming below the target. There may be left/right
          > variations depending on the whether the arrows are spined properly.
          >

          > James Wolfden

        • Siegfried
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2006
            I use limb marks myself ... nice little ones, on my modern flatlimb longbow.

            I personally (just me) have some issues with rules (when they exist)
            that don't allow them. Since nothing stops a person from using marks
            in the grain of the wood, or other such things.

            I don't use them on my recurve for that reason. I didn't need to.
            Since the big black bolthead was a perfect 40, One glueline was a good
            30, and a scratch that the riser had developed a long while ago was a
            good 20.

            So I didn't use marks. But I was still shooting that way.

            Siegfried
            (Who does gap shooting with his crossbow though)

          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2006
              I use one finger over tow under. I have marks for 20-30 and 40 yards on my
              recurve. I have not marked my longbow. For 100yards or more I use under the
              hand to aim seems to work for all but my 50lb recurve. For 50-60-70 I use
              the tip of the arrow at foot of the target-top of the target and nuckle(sp)
              on the target. At 80-90 I am screwed the target is behind my hand.

              James Cunningham

              As I develop my skills with the longbow, I continue to strive to learn
              things
              that will make me a better archer.

              My biggest challenge is knowing (on the first shot...and then consistently)
              the proper elevation of my bow/arrow to ensure proper trajectory at 30 and
              40
              yards. Though I shoot instinctually (as instinctually as I can), I have been
              thinking about taking steps to make my shots more consistent at longer
              ranges.

              Does anyone mark their bows for sighting?
              And if not...any tips?

              William the Archer
              >>—————————>

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • THL Cain Saethydd
              Message 6 of 9 , May 4, 2006
                I use a consistant anchor point, stance, and three finger under
                method of release. The string is in my sight picture, and rests on an
                easily identifiable, vertical, portion of the bow. The tip of the
                arrow is sighted at a consistant point for the range/target, which is
                determined from experience or practice rounds. I personaly dislike
                limb marks, just a me thing.

                If you are familiar with using open sights on rifles, you may be
                familiar with I am about to say.

                In the sight picture, everything should be crystal clear. Now,
                theoreticaly, this is impossible. However, your mind can and will
                compensate for the fuzzieness of the closer items. This is how it works:
                The mind already knows what your string looks like, as well as your
                bow and arrow. To accomplish the clear sight picture, change your
                focus from the string to the bow, to the tip, then to the target. Do
                this rapidly, and only once, or vertigo may result. YOU know what the
                string, bow and arrow looks like, so they will be crystal clear in
                your mind. This will take practice, lots of it. But when it happens,
                you will be shocked. Soon it will be second nature, just a thoughtless
                act as you set your draw.

                Oddly enough, I actualy use this in hardsuit battles as well, when
                swinging a sword. It is amazing how well it helps your battlefield
                awareness and command ability.

                Cain

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, WilliamTheArcher@... wrote:

                > As I develop my skills with the longbow, I continue to strive to
                learn things
                > that will make me a better archer.
                >
                > My biggest challenge is knowing (on the first shot...and then
                consistently)
                > the proper elevation of my bow/arrow to ensure proper trajectory at
                30 and 40
                > yards. Though I shoot instinctually (as instinctually as I can), I
                have been
                > thinking about taking steps to make my shots more consistent at
                longer ranges.

                > Does anyone mark their bows for sighting?
                > And if not...any tips?
                >

                > William the Archer

              • Nest verch Tangwistel