Help

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2006
      This is my first post. Not an SCA member since my archery tastes run to
      primitive American Indian 1750-1890s. I collect weapons of all varities
      and needed one for the collection so just purchased a crossbow on Ebay
      not sure if it is a wall hanger or functional. It has no string. Price
      was right even if it is a wall hanger. I know nothing about crossbows
      would like to communicate with someone that could help when I get it.
      Could send photos snail mail for a possible id. It was listed as a
      vintage crossbow, seller had no clue about it. If any one saw it on
      Ebay they might be a help id it. Need any help that you folks can give.
      Thanks

      Ken
    • Bruce R. Gordon
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2006
        Greetings

        I'd be happy to provide whatever advice or assistence possible - note my email addy (obsidian@...) and contact me whenever you like. Not sure what I can do long distance (whereabouts are you, roughly, anyway?), but I can at least give you basic info, undoubtably.

        Nigel

        This is my first post. Not an SCA member since my archery tastes run to
        > primitive American Indian 1750-1890s. I collect weapons of all varities
        > and needed one for the collection so just purchased a crossbow on Ebay
        > not sure if it is a wall hanger or functional. It has no string. Price
        > was right even if it is a wall hanger. I know nothing about crossbows
        > would like to communicate with someone that could help when I get it.
        > Could send photos snail mail for a possible id. It was listed as a
        > vintage crossbow, seller had no clue about it. If any one saw it on
        > Ebay they might be a help id it. Need any help that you folks can give.
        > Thanks
        >
        > Ken

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        "Do these colors match?"
        "Is this too much jewelry?"
        "Is that my drink?"

      • Dayrl Merrill
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1 1:06 AM
          I also might be able to help, but could you provide the auction number so
          it could be looked up?. I just searched the completed auctions quickly and
          there were several that poped up.
          If it is a shooter I also make crossbow strings. If you want to take it
          off-line just send me an email directly at dmerrill0380@...

          Dayrl

          At 10:04 PM 4/30/06, you wrote:
          >This is my first post. Not an SCA member since my archery tastes run to
          >primitive American Indian 1750-1890s. I collect weapons of all varities
          >and needed one for the collection so just purchased a crossbow on Ebay
          >not sure if it is a wall hanger or functional. It has no string. Price
          >was right even if it is a wall hanger. I know nothing about crossbows
          >would like to communicate with someone that could help when I get it.
          >Could send photos snail mail for a possible id. It was listed as a
          >vintage crossbow, seller had no clue about it. If any one saw it on
          >Ebay they might be a help id it. Need any help that you folks can give.
          > Thanks
          >
          > Ken

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1 7:03 AM
            I also might be able to help, but could you provide the auction number so
            it could be looked up.

            I make Crossbows and have seen a few modern and non so modern crossbow and
            would like to see what you are talking about.

            James Cunningham
            > At 10:04 PM 4/30/06, you wrote:
            > >This is my first post. Not an SCA member since my archery tastes run to
            > >primitive American Indian 1750-1890s. I collect weapons of all varities
            > >and needed one for the collection so just purchased a crossbow on Ebay
            > >not sure if it is a wall hanger or functional. It has no string. Price
            > >was right even if it is a wall hanger. I know nothing about crossbows
            > >would like to communicate with someone that could help when I get it.
            > >Could send photos snail mail for a possible id. It was listed as a
            > >vintage crossbow, seller had no clue about it. If any one saw it on
            > >Ebay they might be a help id it. Need any help that you folks can give.
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Ken

            > >Yahoo! Groups Links

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • THL Cain Saethydd
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2 11:10 PM
              Perchance, do you own of the controversial Penobscott (sp) Bows? It
              was reputed to be used by the indians of the same name in the
              northeast, from the time period you like. Rather ingenious design. I
              have always wanted to try one...

              Cain

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <kemarchgps@...> wrote:

              > This is my first post. Not an SCA member since my archery tastes run to
              > primitive American Indian 1750-1890s. I collect weapons of all varities
              > and needed one for the collection so just purchased a crossbow on Ebay
              > not sure if it is a wall hanger or functional. It has no string. Price
              > was right even if it is a wall hanger. I know nothing about crossbows
              > would like to communicate with someone that could help when I get it.
              > Could send photos snail mail for a possible id. It was listed as a
              > vintage crossbow, seller had no clue about it. If any one saw it on
              > Ebay they might be a help id it. Need any help that you folks can give.
              > Thanks
              >
              > Ken

            • THL Cain Saethydd
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2 11:15 PM
                Also...

                I have a friend with an Inuit Whalebone bow (baleen, I think) for
                sale, I believe with documentation from the 1860's on this bow. It is
                in remarkable condition. I don't like hawking on the lists, but you
                sound like a collector who may be interested.

                Cain, Atenveldt
                Robert Bower, Phx, AZ