Something Completely Different

  • Egil Haraldsson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3 3:39 PM
      Greetings,
      I have been looking at ways to better myself at our art so I have
      been doing some research on ways to tune my bow and match my arrows
      for the best possible grouping. I read several articles and one that
      made complete sense to me was one written by Sir Jon Fitz-Rauf. I
      found it in the file section of the e-group. What it discussed was
      matching your arrows by flight characteristic.

      Now I have read many aritcles on matching arrows by weight but
      none until I read Sir Jon's about flight matching. After reading the
      article I can't wait to get home and try it out. I also made
      a "Arrow Matching Sheet" and added it to the file section. On the
      sheet is 10 targets, the same color and ring count as we use. Each
      sheet has an place to put the arrow number so that you can easily
      monitor where each arrow hits the target and therefore match the
      arrows by groups depanding on where they strike.

      I would also suggest reading Sir Jon's article titled" Matching
      Arrows". If you are a novice like me or a seasoned archer and have
      just not thought of this or forgotten these two files may help in
      increasing your score and as most have noticed all the current
      debate is about just that. Handbow or crossbow, these articles may
      help you get to that 100+ we are all striving for.

      As for the current conversation I have read all that has been said
      and the idea I liked the best was the one that talked about have a
      handicap simular to golf or pool leagues. Ranking can be done using
      that system. The only problem I can think of is the how to rank the
      novice such as myself who may not be able to go to as many events
      and shoot enough sanctioned RR's.

      I work offshore, in the gulf, oil and gas, and I am usually at
      work when most archery events are held. So one possible way of
      getting the needed rounds in may be at allow the local Archery
      Marshal monitor a weekend or local shoot and tabulate the scores and
      send that information to say the Kingdom Marshal who will keep the
      average for any given archer. That way if you show up for a official
      SCA event you will have a SCA average. I know the Marshals are
      yelling NOOOOOOO!!!!! and mosy likely wanting to kill me about
      now...weg. But I just kinda liked the idea.

      I know I got off track, so print out the Arrow Matching Sheet, grab
      up your quiver and go match those arrows by flight and weight and
      who knows, because I haven't tried it yet, we just may not need to
      divide ourselves and put any more walls up than we as adults already
      have in place.

      Aim True, Shoot Well!
      Egil
    • Siegfried
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 3 4:25 PM
        Egil, know that every Kingdom is different in the specifics of how
        they run Royal Rounds.

        Atlantia allows exactly what you have just listed. Any Atlantian
        Marshal can run and score a Royal Round, anywhere, anytime.

        This was done because the Royal Round is a training tool and should be
        used as such. It's not a shoot that should be done at Events, where
        interesting/different/etc things should be done.

        Siegfried

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3 4:59 PM
          Great..thanks for the reply. I did not know that about RR's. This GW
          was the first event I had the chance to go to a range. All I heard
          each day was about completing the RR's, which due to my recurve
          breaking and getting used to the new bow and other GW obligations I
          was unable to get in the total needed for an average. I will check
          with my local Marshal here in Gleann Abhann, Barony of Axemoor and
          see what our rules are.
          Thanks,
          Egil

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Siegfried <SiegfriedFaust@...>