Re: My Opinion on Equipment

  • Al T
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
      Hail Archers & Well Met,
      I'm going to add my two soldi to this debate, I was reluctant because
      of the what I have to say, but here it is.
      The solution is this: there is no solution. People will naturally
      divide themselves into groups, you can see that on your average
      school playground. Archers are no different. When I shot in
      college, we would make fun of the wheel-bow shooters, saying they
      needed training wheels. The field shooters would make fun of us for
      having "antennas" on our bows (actually stabilizers.)

      The important thing was to remember that we were all archers and that
      the similarities outweighed the differences. Often a wheel-bow
      shooter would act as field official for some of our college
      tournaments; and there was often enough room for archers of other
      styles to practice on our range. Even a crossbow shooter, who had to
      bring along plywood re-enforcement for the bale.

      I realize that this doesn't help much, but maybe it can shed some
      light on why there never seems to be any progress made towards a
      solution.
      Yours in Archery...
      -Allan Bluehood-

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "i_griffen" <i_griffen@...> wrote:

      > Greetings All
      >
      > As most of you know I don't post often. I remember the days of
      > Flame, so this post is not ment to flame anyone or anyones idea, it
      > is just my opinion.
      >
      > On this subject of modern verses period crossbows Or better yet
      > crossbows against handbows.
      >
      > It is all the same. We all enjoy flinging sharp pointy sticks at an
      > object and hope to hit it as many times possible and in the right
      > spots.
      >
      > It is our duties as gentle folk that enjoys archery to pass on what
      > we have learned to make room for the NEW STUFF we can learn from
      > others about our beloved sport Archery. Remember there is many
      view
      > of what is right as there are archers. We all have learned and
      > reasearched with in our means and interpatation. We all benifit
      > when we share. And sometimes we are able to help someone to realign
      > their conception of what is right. And sometimes our perception is
      > also realigned.
      >
      > During the past 8 years I have seen in the Kingdom of Atenveldt the
      > number crossbowmen (Target) more than double. I myself shoot,
      > recurve, longbow, crossbow. As it was said in an earlier missive
      > when some of us get older we have to find a way to continue to play
      > in the sport we love so much. Yes, some shooters shoot the modern
      > crossbows at a cost of $99.00 compared to $250.00 for a period
      style
      > crossbow. I am not comfortable shooting against a modern crossbow
      > with my 10 yr old Iolo that has a worn nut and tickler. Why, there
      > isn't anyone here that is able to do the necessary repairs. So the
      > only time it is shot is at Estrella War and I don't think it will
      be
      > shot at the next war.
      >
      > Going out to the range and to other events is a time when Archers
      > are able to gather and talk about what they have been doing and
      > share what they have learned. Why, should we seperate ourselves
      into
      > two groups one for crossbowmen and one for handbows?
      >
      > Yes, to stand Court with other than period style equipment
      shouldn't
      > be done. There must be a way that this can be avoided. I feel To
      > be a Kingdom, Baronial, Shire etc.. Archery officer you should have
      > an idea of what is period and what isn't. And also what equipment
      is
      > allowed and what isn't. I also feel that the same officer should
      be
      > an Archer.
      >

      > Good gentles I am starting to rant
      > I hope you have a good day and week
      >
      > YIS
      >
      > Lord Iain Griffen the Archer

    • Lord Cain Saethydd
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6, 2006
        John, I may well be able to fix your crossbow, or show you how to
        do so. The latter being the prefered, as it will b e knowledge
        spreading. Do you have that range set up in your backyard yet?

        Cain 602-522-7189

        wrote:

> [...]
        > only time it is shot is at Estrella War and I don't think it will
        be
        > shot at the next war.
        >
        > Going out to the range and to other events is a time when Archers
        > are able to gather and talk about what they have been doing and
        > share what they have learned. Why, should we seperate ourselves
        into
        > two groups one for crossbowmen and one for handbows?
        >
        > Yes, to stand Court with other than period style equipment
        shouldn't
        > be done. There must be a way that this can be avoided. I feel To
        > be a Kingdom, Baronial, Shire etc.. Archery officer you should
        have
        > an idea of what is period and what isn't. And also what equipment
        is
        > allowed and what isn't. I also feel that the same officer should

      • i_griffen
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2006
          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Lord Cain Saethydd"
          <capt_cain@...> wrote:

          > John, I may well be able to fix your crossbow, or show you how to
          > do so. The latter being the prefered, as it will b e knowledge
          > spreading. Do you have that range set up in your backyard yet?
          >
          > Cain

          All I have to do is either find some carpet or buy 6 bales of straw
          for the back stop.

          Iain