Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Archery Proposal

  • loreleiElkins@aol.com
    Message 1 of 59 , Apr 2, 2006
      In a message dated 4/1/2006 4:22:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      alchem@... writes:

      A much
      easier solution is to let the crossbows and handbows shoot side by side,
      but simply tabulate the scores separately and provide two prizes, one for
      each category. This makes the contest entirely fair regardless whether or
      not a speed round is included.

      Do you mean a separate category for long, recurve, and crossbow with a prize
      for each or just crossbows all other handbows?

    • John edgerton
      Message 59 of 59 , Apr 3, 2006
        Actually a more accurate term would be timed ends rather than speed
        ends. In the RR or IKAC the intent is to get as high a score as
        possible in the time given, rather than just getting off as many arrows
        as possible. It is better to shoot four and get twenty points, than to
        shoot nine and get ten points.

        Yes, when shooting into a mass of tightly packed warriors, where most
        any arrow will hit someone, plain speed is important. But, in the
        instance of less tightly packed targets it is a case of accuracy and
        rapid rate of release. When you are trying not to hit a shield or one
        of your own men while attempting to get an arrow or bolt into a visor
        slot, accuracy is important. And then getting off an other shot as
        fast as possible to take out an other opponent, before they kill you or
        one of your friends is reason to shoot rapidly and accurately. Aside
        from sieges, there were countless small scale engagements, aside from
        major battles where a rapid and accurate rate of shooting was
        paramount. In the hunt, when beaters are driving herds of deer toward
        you, killing as many deer as possible for the larder is also important.

        As to period speed ends. Since there is little documentation of just
        how period competitions or training were done, it is difficult to
        positivity state that they were either used or not used. However, I
        do have a copy of a period illustration of a german crossbow
        competition showing an hour glass in the foreground. If it was using
        for timing the shooting or to indicate when to break for lunch, it is
        impossible to say.

        Jon